Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Change mount for web server storage? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Help] Change mount for web server storage?

2»

Comments

• Only issue is VNC is ONLY accessible with the sysrcd running if that matters. Sorry just never had to go through all of this.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@HuntersPad said:
    Only issue is VNC is ONLY accessible with the sysrcd running if that matters. Sorry just never had to go through all of this.

Ouch that complicates things. I guess the statically linked qemu approach people use to install windows would still work but sadly it's more complicated. Still not impossible i guess.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

Basically it should go like this:

• You go into rescue mode.
    • mount -t tmpfs -o size=2000m tmpfs /mnt
    • cd /mnt
    • wget %URL-OF-CENTOS-ISO%
    • wget -qO- /tmp https://ia601503.us.archive.org/12/items/vkvm.tar/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz
    • ./qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user -m 1024M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/%NAME-OF-CENTOS-ISO% -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -hdc /dev/sdc -boot once=d -vnc :1
    • Get any kind of VNC client for your desktop OS and connect your server.
    • Install CentOS yourself and how you want it.
    • Tricky part: Fix the networking so that it'll actually work when you reboot without rescue (not sure about centos but for debian copying /etc/network/interfaces from your current install should do it)
    • Shutdown the system
    • Exit rescue
    • Reboot the server. You should now have a custom install.

This is a copy/pizza adaption of the windows install approach so no guaranties. Something is surely wrong. Also it assumes that you can conenct the rescue system from the outside (it is not firewalled or anything) and that your drives are actually /dev/sda (probably the SSD), /dev/sdb + /dev/sdc (the raid).

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • I dont have any rescue mode other than sysrcd which already has vnc access. That is it. The provider is limiting in this way :(

• @HuntersPad said:
    I dont have any rescue mode other than sysrcd which already has vnc access. That is it. The provider is limiting in this way :(

Tbh i don't know sysrcd but i guess it's as good as any other rescue system.

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited February 2018

Its accessable via VNC and SSH by default and has a GUI with a few preinstalled apps in the GUI. Its more of a bootable ISO.

• @HuntersPad said:
    Its accessable via VNC and SSH by default and has a GUI with a few preinstalled apps in the GUI. Its more of a bootable ISO.

Ouch x2. No way to drop to a shell?

• @mksh said:

@HuntersPad said:

Theres the GUI terminal if that counts?

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@HuntersPad said:

@mksh said:

@HuntersPad said:

Theres the GUI terminal if that counts?

Sure that should do it. Hopefully the CD has mount, wget/curl and tar though otherwise it gets even more tricky.

Can you ping your servers IP while the rescue CD is running?

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@HuntersPad said:
    Yeah

Nice it probably is connectable from the outside. Might be worth double checking by running nc -vlp 33445 and trying to connect from the outside but if it pings im 99% positive that would succeed anyways.

So only question left is how to fix the network after install. Can you post the output of ifconfig -a? I know it sucks from a graphical terminal...

Edit: Of course mask your IP and route -n output please.

Edit2: That's basically to find the IP/netmask/gateway settings to be restored later so you know these already you can skip this.

Edit3: Could also be done from a normal system. Doesn't have to be done in rescue mode.

• I'd be happy to do this for you if you want to send me your information in a PM. This thread doesn't need to be this long.

• @WSS said:
    I'd be happy to do this for you if you want to send me your information in a PM. This thread doesn't need to be this long.

We've already tried that yesterday. Problem is there is no KVM support (not 100% sure if it's because the rescue CD does not include the kernel module or the CPU does not support it) making Qemu dog slow.

In 1h of running it managed nothing but print a bunch of boot message so if you have some better idea and he's OK with that i'll gladly leave it to you as i fear that even if it eventually gets to the installer it might not be usable or at least take years to install.

• You don't need a KVM. Boot with sysresq, decide device names, edit fstab.

• Seriously, if you're still having a problem - PM me with credentials after it's on sysresq, and I'll try to fix it. I won't reboot it so you can go back through the history to show there's nothing malicious.

KVM isn't needed. Just device paths.

• @WSS it's fixed afaik. Btw the fstab mount was working anyways.

• @mksh Well, OK, then.

• @WSS
    Ah that's nice. And they said you were a mean guy...

• @hammer said:
    @WSS

I used to think that, but now I'm pretty sure @WSS is simply allergic to stupidity.

Thanked by 2WSS HuntersPad
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@hammer said:
    @WSS

Thats what he wants us to think of him. He is a good chap.