Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach VPS - Windows 2012 R2 - Update issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach VPS - Windows 2012 R2 - Update issues

Hello,

Anyone else using VirMach Windows VPS with Windows 2012 R2 ? Have you been able to apply all the updates successfully?

I can't get pass the KB3000850 update, it always fails while installing. Happens in fresh installs too. It's related to some sort of corruption in the OS.

I can't get that dism /online to do the job properly since I don't have the proper setup files matching the build.

If you are using this Windows server version in VirMach, have you been able to solve it?

Thanks

Comments

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited February 2018

Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975061

edit: Just FYI, I doubt this has anything to do specifically with Virmach. Are they seriously rolling their own windows templates? Hm.. Don't think that's legal but who cares..

That was a bad update, from 2014 even. I'd personally, use some trick to install a later version of 2012 r2 with all the updates. But that is just me, my windows licensing is valid so I have some other avenues.

• That's not exactly the issue I'm experiencing. But I might be missing your point here, if you can explain a little...

@MCHPhil said:
    Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975061

edit: Just FYI, I doubt this has anything to do specifically with Virmach. Are they seriously rolling their own windows templates? Hm.. Don't think that's legal but who cares..

That was a bad update, from 2014 even. I'd personally, use some trick to install a later version of 2012 r2 with all the updates. But that is just me, my windows licensing is valid so I have some other avenues.

• The kb you have presented is a known problematic update. It's from 2014.. You may need to update your service stack before applying the update.

Please provide the exact issue you are experiencing if you are expecting the assistance provided to be useful.

Dism also can run without a source specified and will utilize windows update service for the repair. Please see https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

and https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/windows-update-error-kb3000850-couldnt-complete/849cfb0c-0f78-49f7-abad-d2c6920269f5?auth=1

Don't worry, 8.1 is 2012 r2. Same shit.

Is your windows update completely broke? If so that is a whole nother issue.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

We use Microsoft's official template and I believe we sysprep it with Virtio, Chrome, and our license.

We are aware of an issue with a certain unimportant update specifically (marked as important) on Windows 2012. Current solutions are to skip it or upgrade to Windows 2016. We have reached out to Microsoft already and trying to work out a solution.

• oh! man I've been losing my mind with that update issue on your 2012 R2 copy. Thanks for your reply.

@VirMach said:
    We use Microsoft's official template and I believe we sysprep it with Virtio, Chrome, and our license.

We are aware of an issue with a certain unimportant update specifically (marked as important) on Windows 2012. Current solutions are to skip it or upgrade to Windows 2016. We have reached out to Microsoft already and trying to work out a solution.

• This is an odd update from Microsoft which has issues processing something which doesn't actually matter anymore, but still gets pushed through.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • @WSS said:
    This is an odd update from Microsoft which has issues processing something which doesn't actually matter anymore, but still gets pushed through.

100%. Also not required, or security related. It really shouldn't be an important update, but it is m$.

The issue is fixable if you care to put the time into troubleshooting it.

• @MCHPhil said:

This is so far down my hotlist, that it's a tiny little mosquito fart, but I still want to deal with it.

• @WSS said:

@MCHPhil said:

This is so far down my hotlist, that it's a tiny little mosquito fart, but I still want to deal with it.

Some care and some don't. To each his own. I don't mind helping either way. Personally, I wouldn't care about this issue specifically.

• @MCHPhil said:

@WSS said:

@MCHPhil said:

Some care and some don't. To each his own. I don't mind helping either way. Personally, I wouldn't care about this issue specifically.

I'm considering trying to roll it as installed into the template, so it goes away- but again, that's waaaay down my list of actionable items. If you've done it, I wouldn't mind a link or two. Otherwise, it's on a "get to it" basis.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited February 2018

TBH I use the most recent ISO for 2012 r2 from windows with all updates built in, again from microsoft. I don't see this KB being stuck failed in WSUS.

I will put in the time to assist if you can get me specific details. What is failing, where, is there an error code? Do you get to the restart and see the update failed rolling back? Ever used Kodak anything? (strange but I've seen some comments about this...)

Edit: can you run a dism repair successfully?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I'm looking at usurping this into a KVM compatible template; I don't use Windows unless I have to, so it's obviously from an older 2012r2 build which could take a few hotfixes/etc added to it, but I haven't slipstreamed in awhile, especially something that's likely been lost 4 years ago. :D

It's always a fail on KB3000850, which generally works after the system is restarted for other things, but not always. Nyet to Kodak .

• @WSS said:
    I'm looking at usurping this into a KVM compatible template; I don't use Windows unless I have to, so it's obviously from an older 2012r2 build which could take a few hotfixes/etc added to it, but I haven't slipstreamed in awhile, especially something that's likely been lost 4 years ago. :D

It's always a fail on KB3000850, which generally works after the system is restarted for other things, but not always. Nyet to Kodak .

Honestly, I haven't slipstreamed anything since windows 7? IIRC. If you can get your hands on the actual m$ iso that might be the simplest. But there are plenty of guides online about slipstreaming 2012 r2. Shouldn't be too crazy. https://4sysops.com/archives/use-dism-to-slipstream-updates/

Thanked by 1WSS