Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS - 20 Core vs Dedicated 20 Cores?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS - 20 Core vs Dedicated 20 Cores?

Hello everyone! :)

So I have a question.. I'm using my VPS to compress images (jpegtran, optipng etc..).
I expect to have 300-500 images in 60 seconds from various sources.

Will the VPS provide the same speed as the dedicated server would?
As I understand VPS is a shared instance.. so if other users are doing some CPU heavy tasks it will slow my process?

Thanks!

Comments

• creativi said: if other users are doing some CPU heavy tasks it will slow my process?

Not if you have dedicated cores. 20 VPS cores will be expensive than a dedi tho.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2018

Dedicated will always be better than shared core. For VPS with shared CPU, not only it will slow your process, you might be informed to switch to dedicated server due to excessive use of CPU too

Thanked by 1uptime
  • joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

What is your budget for you project?

• vovlervovler Member
    edited February 2018

You'll get your VPS banned pretty fast. VPS use shared cores unless stated otherwise. If you use a high % for a long time youll be banned for not following the use policy.

To answer your question of speed, depends on the CPU, but if the CPU used is the same then Dedicated allows you to fully use the cores, cause they are not shared. Plus in a VPS 20 vCores may mean 20 Threads

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jpegtran uses almost no cpu, it just shuffles blocks around. don't know about optipng. What do you mean by 500 in 60 seconds? How often do you have to do this? If you just have 500 images to crunch on in a batch, even if they're 1 second each, that's less than 10 minutes so I'd just use a vps if it's any good and if you have it already. If you mean you have to process 9 images/second with any regularity, use either a dedi or some parallel vps instances. I had an interesting talk with @Jarland about spinning up a bunch of DO servers using their API to do some parallel processing. That's an approach you could consider if you are good at writing scripts.

Thanked by 2uptime eva2000
  • @joeri said:

Thats not his question.

Dedicated servers is Dedicated to you, and needing so much resources is cheaper.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR

@FoxelVox said:

@joeri said:

Thats not his question.

Dedicated servers is Dedicated to you, and needing so much resources is cheaper.

It's more about if he has paid a reasonable price, he may be able to look at online.net or hetzner where he can gets dedicated recourses

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2018

Get dedicated as you'll have less resource contention and high clock speed and fast disks is what you want. I wrote my batch image optimiser script at https://github.com/centminmod/optimise-images and had a user process 4+ TB of 100s of thousand images batch optimised and clock speed and disk speed where more important. edit: oh re-read you only have 500 images, probably highend VPS would be enough then - divide into 4x125 sets of images over 4x VPS servers.

As @willie said, if you can break up the images to separate servers can speed things up too. Vultr has $100 promo credit and 60% off their bare meta E3-1270v6 servers which seems perfect for your work though you only have 30 days to use the $100 credit promo.

Thanked by 3ariq01 uptime Aidan
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2018

Some food for thought: Which would you rather fight? One horse-sized duck, or one hundred duck-sized horses? (Also ... why a duck? Why not a goose?)

Choose wisely!

• mattwservicesmattwservices Member
    edited February 2018

@eva2000 said:
    Get dedicated as you'll have less resource contention and high clock speed and fast disks is what you want. I wrote my batch image optimiser script at https://github.com/centminmod/optimise-images and had a user process 4+ TB of 100s of thousand images batch optimised and clock speed and disk speed where more important. edit: oh re-read you only have 500 images, probably highend VPS would be enough then - divide into 4x125 sets of images over 4x VPS servers.

As @willie said, if you can break up the images to separate servers can speed things up too. Vultr has $100 promo credit and 60% off their bare meta E3-1270v6 servers which seems perfect for your work though you only have 30 days to use the $100 credit promo.

Yeah, that was a fun 6 months!

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • So the issue is that I'm actually compressing images from multiple sites/multiple users...so there is a chance 500 users will decide to compress image in same/similar time... and in that case I need the server to be able to handle those 500 requests.. :(

Is it realistic that a 2xXeon server (24 cores) can handle jpegtran+opti png 500 request in same time? or how does that calculate even?

Thanks!

• 500 simultaneous compressions on a big server is no big deal. The first thing to do is run a few test compressions and see how long they take, and also estimate your base load. But it sounds you want dynamic scaling, i.e. have some dedicated cpu to handle the base load and spin up hourly instances to handle peaks. Also, if you expect your service to keep getting bigger, then you have to be ready to parallelize it no matter what.

If this stuff isn't familiar to you, you probably need to hire some tech help. It isn't quantum theory but there's enough details that a thread like this isn't going to cut it.

• I have made services which have created new VPS instances on need basis.. so that's not an issue. :) I will test it out with Dedicated server and see how it goes...

Any suggestions where to take the dedicated server? I'm looking at London,Frankfurt locations..

• Any suggestions where to take the dedicated server? I'm looking at London,Frankfurt locations..

Got a rough estimate of what hardware you need & perhaps a budget? (HDD/SSD, CPU, RAM, PortSpeed, Bandwidth)

• You don't have even the vaguest numbers about your workload and you're already trying to buy servers? Do some more planning first.

• I have vague numbers :) as it's already running for months... :)
    I actually tested now to download & compress 300 images in 60 seconds on 20Core Linode.

Do you have any suggestions which monitoring to use to fetch in detail which process consumed how much cpu,ram? I currently just watch "htop" while doing the batch...

Did fairly OK, but that's about the limit as the avg load gets to near 100% and I see it get slow from second to second.

My budget is about 300-400$ per month, Looking at SSD, 2xCPU,32GB RAM.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

creativi said: Did fairly OK, but that's about the limit as the avg load gets to near 100% and I see it get slow from second to second.

You mean you see the load average get to 20? If you're running flat out you want the load average to be slightly larger than the number of cores. Note that the 20 vCore Linode may be just 10 physical cores, and who knows if you have noisy neighbors. Anyway, htop or top should show you specific processes using near 100%. So those are the programs using the cpu.

Anyway, if you intend to scale out a lot more, then you're better off using lots of small servers instead of a single huge one. The 20 core Linode is $640 a month while 20 of the 1 core Linodes is $100 a month so do the math ;). Plus you can dynamically control the number that are running at any time. I don't know about Linode but I know that Digital Ocean now bills by the second instead of by the hour, so you don't get charged full hours when you use the server for fractions of an hour.

• Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! :) Helped me a lot!