Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roku vs Chromecast - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Roku vs Chromecast

2»

Comments

• chromecast isn't standalone, you need another device to trigger. Decent android box or roku might be cheaper bet.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited February 2018

One of the very first mobile apps I made is a roku controller app for mobile. It accepts just plain HTTP requests. You can just control your roku from here: http://www.remoku.tv/ if you don't have a mobile app available.

Anyway, I have a chromecast & apple TV. I don't use either, they are a pain to work with, and always having some kind of lag out issue.

Roku is my go-to. I haven't packaged my app up for Android, cuz life, but I can if you need it

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @KermEd said:
    One of the very first mobile apps I made is a roku controller app for mobile. It accepts just plain HTTP requests. You can just control your roku from here: http://www.remoku.tv/ if you don't have a mobile app available.

Anyway, I have a chromecast & apple TV. I don't use either, they are a pain to work with, and always having some kind of lag out issue.

Roku is my go-to. I haven't packaged my app up for Android, cuz life, but I can if you need it

I remember using that before deciding finding the controller was more worthwhile. :D

Thanked by 3Ympker Nekki KermEd
  • Went with the chromecast, set it up with my router running a vpn with smartdns and flix/crunchyroll/prime all running fine ;) Changing Region works on the fly too (in the Webinterface).

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2018

Depends on preference.

Chromecast if you want to use apps on smartphones or tablets (and/or a laptop) to send audio/video to your TV using the "cast" feature. Effectively, the Pandora app, NBC Sports app, YouTube app, Comedy Central app, or any compatible app turns into the TV's remote control. I like this quick access to content over navigating channels with a remote.

Pros: Everyone in the house can use their own device to control the Chromecast. No need to ask someone to pass the remote. Also, plays nicely with a Google Home to use your voice with things things like, "Hey Google, pause the TV."

Cons: No Amazon Video since Google and Amazon are competing over home automation. Also, no remote control (must keep the smartphone, tablet, or laptop charged).

Roku for traditional channel browsing on the TV using a hand-held remote control. Also plays Amazon Video (Chromecast won't). Some apps also support "cast" to Roku (YouTube does), just like Chromecast.

Other than that, I think you can't go wrong with either device.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

elwebmaster said: I have both. I mostly use the Roku because the remote control is much more convenient than using your phone. The Chromecast is useful for casting media that's not available on the Roku or for YouTube (it is hard to search on the Roku).

So the remote control is more convenient except that it's hard to search...probably because you're trying to search using the remote.

Go to YouTube on your phone or computer browser. Search. Find a video. Look at that little TV icon. Tap or click it. Magic happens.

I've had a Roku for a couple years and search on it daily, but have never done so with the remote.

jon617 said: if you want traditional channel browsing on the TV using a hand-held remote control.

I have no idea WTF you are talking about. "Traditional channel browsing on the TV" is going up and down a list of numbers. That is not the Roku.

I've spent entire evenings watching the Roku even when I have no idea where the remote is...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2018

raindog308 said: I have no idea WTF you are talking about. "Traditional channel browsing on the TV" is going up and down a list of numbers. That is not the Roku.

I mean the concept of "channel" browsing, as in, pressing up/down/left/right to see what's available to watch. Roku has that. Chromecast does not.

I got used to quickly opening my favorite apps on the living room tablet (which is just a cheap Android device) to browse, search, and play shows on the TV rather than using traditional arrow buttons. So, I prefer Chromecast because it's just a little faster playing videos from apps, and the Google Home voice control a nice bonus.

Thanked by 1WSS