Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF> VPS for constant CPU utilization (at 3Ghz around 50% loading for 24/7) in North America
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LF> VPS for constant CPU utilization (at 3Ghz around 50% loading for 24/7) in North America

desperanddesperand Member
edited February 2018 in Requests

Okay, I tired of trash providers and looking for any professionalism.

My request very primitive, and I need it for small hobby mini-game project, which utilizes constantly around 30-50% of the CPU and can utilize up to 80-90% at some short period of time.

Minimum Requirements:

• AntiDDoS Game (OVH) / or any similar to quality (game hosting, this is critical)
  • 1 CPU Core with minimum 3Ghz+ which will be utilized constantly minimum 50% 24/7 (some heavy logic is coded, and can't be optimized). So dedi CPU is important, but if your shared allow 30-50 or up to 80% for some period of time CPU loading, it will be great
  • SSD 10GB+
  • RAM: 2GB
  • KVM / Xen
  • Speed port: 100mbit/s will be enough.
  • Ideal DC: BHS from OVH with an antiddos game protection.
  • Price range: 7-15$ / mo for such hosting.
  • Location: North America (central / west/east, does not matter)

from my side extra notes: this is gnu/gpl mini-game project, which because of bad algorithms utilize too much CPU, I'm not ready to buy a whole dedi for my small hobby projects, so I hope someone can help me with the request above.

P.S. buyvm slices don't offer. Thx

Comments

• Order it directly from OVH rather than looking for a reseller unless there's something fishy going on.

• 1 dedicated core of 3Ghz+ is not easy.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Talk with @MikeA, he can probably arrange something.

Francisco

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

desperand said: not ready to buy a whole dedi for my small hobby projects,

Do it, you will be glad that you did. I got a Kimsufi KS-4C (i5-3470S, 4 cores at 3.1 ghz, 16gb ram, 2tb disk) at BHS for $17 a month during one of the flash sales. They've regularly had KS-3C (i3-2130, 2 cores, 3.4 ghz, 8gb ram, 2tb disk) for less than that. Right now the KS-3C in stock at the regular price of $22, not that far outside of what you are willing to pay for a VPS, and you can always switch to a flash sale unit if and when they come up again.

It's worth the extra few bucks just for the liberating feeling of being the only person on the hardware. Something like moving out of your mom's house and getting your own place. No more worrying about noisy neighbors, freedom to do multiday computations on all the cores, and the 2TB of disk space is nice too. You can put a ton of stuff on it that you would otherwise do with VPS's.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I can but only on OpenVZ. I don't do any KVM on OVH servers that have the game firewall, since the game hardware is very limited.

• VirMach provides a dedicaTed core/thread for $5 extra per core, but their cpu is 2Ghz+... When you click Buy Now at https://virmach.com/cheap-kvm-linux-vps-windows-vps/ there will be a section at the bottom called: Premium Options which contains the dedicaTed core/thread option.

• I think @exception0x876 has some stuff in BHS. Maybe he can do a custom plan for you on one of his nodes?

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@teamacc said:
    I think @exception0x876 has some stuff in BHS. Maybe he can do a custom plan for you on one of his nodes?

Sadly, I don't have nodes with AntiDDoS Game.

• Nfoservers VDS meets all of your requirements. They only offer HDD on VDS by default but you can purchase a small amount of SSD space. Protection varies by location but is very good unless you get hit by a huge botnet.
    Virtualization- Xen
    1 Core
    1024 MB of RAM
    100 GB of RAID-protected storage
    6000 GB of bandwidth transfer
    You can add another gigabyte of RAM and 10GB SSD space and it comes out to ~$17

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Do it, you will be glad that you did. I got a Kimsufi KS-4C (i5-3470S, 4 cores at 3.1 ghz, 16gb ram, 2tb disk) at BHS for $17 a month during one of the flash sales. They've regularly had KS-3C (i3-2130, 2 cores, 3.4 ghz, 8gb ram, 2tb disk) for less than that. Right now the KS-3C in stock at the regular price of $22, not that far outside of what you are willing to pay for a VPS

The OP is looking for SSD disk. Your kimsufi has a single SATA disk without even RAID protection.

desperand said: P.S. buyvm slices don't offer. Thx

They do meet your needs in the price range you're asking, no? Dedicated 3.5Ghz core, 4GB RAM, 80GB disk, $15/mo...

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

If you have some esoteric game, OVH AntiDDOS Game will be totally useless to you. As far as I can tell, the only difference between AntiDDOS and AntiDDOS Game is some specific configuration for popular games, list of which can be found here: https://www.ovh.co.uk/anti-ddos/anti-ddos-game.xml

Thanked by 2willie raindog308
  • raindog308 said: The OP is looking for SSD disk. Your kimsufi has a single SATA disk without even RAID protection.

True, though it has enough ram to cache the entire 10GB requested. RAID wasn't requested. Not sure it's that important for an experimental game server. I've mostly lost interest in RAID for my own stuff, preferring replication of anything important on another server. Obviously some use cases can't live without real-time replication, but others can.

raindog308 said: They do meet your needs in the price range you're asking, no? Dedicated 3.5Ghz core, 4GB RAM, 80GB disk, $15/mo...

The OP had issues with us from past experiences, otherwise I would've recommended myself at the top.

I'm game to give OP a few months free to try things out, but I think hes had some bad experiences with Voxility as well so it's a non starter for him.

Francisco

• Francisco said: The OP had issues with us from past experiences, otherwise I would've recommended myself at the top.

Your deal is ideal, but the problem with Voxility, I don't know how is going in 2018, but I know how it was before, and this was very bad.

• @desperand said:

Francisco said: The OP had issues with us from past experiences, otherwise I would've recommended myself at the top.

Your deal is ideal, but the problem with Voxility, I don't know how is going in 2018, but I know how it was before, and this was very bad.

If anything it has gotten worse. Voxility currently still employs the tactic of sometimes blocking entire countries during flood, something obviously not acceptable for a game server.

6ixth said: If anything it has gotten worse. Voxility currently still employs the tactic of sometimes blocking entire countries during flood, something obviously not acceptable for a game server.

Indeed: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/573757/kim-jong-un-steam-gaming-console-heat-map-north-korea-pyongyang

• @raindog308 said:

6ixth said: If anything it has gotten worse. Voxility currently still employs the tactic of sometimes blocking entire countries during flood, something obviously not acceptable for a game server.

Indeed: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/573757/kim-jong-un-steam-gaming-console-heat-map-north-korea-pyongyang

Exactly what I imagined Kim Jong Un doing in his free time.

edited February 2018

6ixth said: uring flood, something obviously not acceptable for a game server.

Haven't seen that as of late, but for sure saw it in the past.

They've been growing their network a lot and now advertise it as 1Tbps of tanking capacity. I'm hoping they've since increased their capacity with much of the middle east where we saw it happen a lot.

OP knows where to reach me if he ever wants to test. No charge, I would appreciate the research so I know what's still a problem with them.

Francisco

dedotatedwam said: Exactly what I imagined Kim Jong Un doing in his free time.

If he'd just spend all of his time gaming, he wouldn't be such a bellend.

Gaming. A path to world peace.

Where's my prize?