Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are OS images of OpenVZ very different?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are OS images of OpenVZ very different?

BartokBartok Member
edited September 2013 in General

When installing a single OS image (e.g. Debian 7 64-bit) on different OpenVZ VPS, I see that the RAM usage is significantly different: from 6 - 18 MB.

Aren't the OS images standard?

Normal installation of an OS on various computers always results in similar tasks and memory usage. Why available OS images of OpenVZ are so much different?

Comments

• Can you please rephrase your question.

Mun

• Because theyre probably to different OS templates..?

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

every vps (and vps template) and the node (server) os shows this kind of different ram (memory) usage

to solve this you need to tweak all the vps's and the servers in the similar manner and once the server tweaking is done, it needs to be restarted and after creation of every vps, and tweaking it alike the earlier vps, you need to restart the vps also.

once this is done the idling memory usage (ram) would nearly be same.

this is because of openvz and virtualization atmosphere...

i dont how know the exact reason can be explained here, but if you follow the solution i offer, may be it will help you, i do it same way...

and yes, most of my threads, posts and replies are being marked-down and talked as spam, so follow my advice only at your own risk. I am posting this since its an open forum

• In theory, assuming you were to take the same exact image on two identical nodes, you'd see the same idle usage. However, between providers, there may be differences in the specific kernel used (there are minor differences between the various 2.6.32 subversions), the image might not be the same (some providers just wget the template from the OpenVZ Wiki and use that just the way it is, while some actually do things like update the templates, remove junk (like BIND, which should NEVER be in an OpenVZ template and enabled by default), and optimize them). In addition, the hardware of the nodes can cause differences. In the world of computing, nothing is perfect.