Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confusion regarding MXRoute.com pricing and larger plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Confusion regarding MXRoute.com pricing and larger plans

Hi, I've recently discovered mxroute.com, which looks very interesting. However, I'm just a little confused with the advertised pricing so I would be grateful of some clarification. In so far as the larger (MX2 and MX3, 30 and 40 GB respectively) plans appear to be increasingly more expensive per GB than the cheaper plans. For example:

Cost     Cost     Cost
Plan Name   GB   Month     Year   Per GB
SMALL        5    2.50    30.00     6.00
MEDIUM      10    3.33    40.00     4.00
LARGE       15    4.17    50.00     3.33
MX1         20    5.00    60.00     3.00
MX2         30   10.00   120.00     4.00
MX3         40   15.00   180.00     4.50

From the above, the cost per GB gradually gets less as you increase the size of the plan in the lower tiers from 5, 10, 15, 20 GB - as you generally expect. However, the 30 and 40 GB plans are comparitively more expensive and increasingly so?

Why is that? Is the intention to dissuade the use of the MX2 and MX3 plans? Providing you are hosting multiple domains and are able to conventiently split them then it would be a lot cheaper to go for 2 x MX1, instead of a single MX3 plan - same storage, but 60 USD cheaper per year?! Is that right, or am I missing something?

But also, providing you are wanting a single large mailbox (a single user) of 20+GB then Google's G-Suite actually works out cheaper in terms of storage capacity (in fact, for 30+GB, G-Suite would seem to be a lot cheaper)? Again, am I missing something?

Thanks.

Comments

• I'd assume MX1 is the sweet spot.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2018

People who buy more space tend to use more, where people who buy less tend to use almost none. It's the benefit of lower prices due to safely overselling while not risking the business model, as a safe business model is important for ensuring customers are taken care of for years to come.

But if I may offer a hint: there's an alternate business model hidden in plain sight. Look for promos. I've used two different models for projecting usage and profits, and the reality lies comfortably in the middle.

• jarland said: safe business model is important for ensuring customers are taken care of for years to come

If only mailchannels understood how that works in the real fucking world.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Are the (promo) plans expandable? Can you "bolt on" an extra 5, 10, 15 GB, etc.?

What I'm really after is a scalable email storage solution. I'd like to be able to resell larger mailboxes to those customers that need it (perhaps in 5GB chunks). So, to start at 5GB, then 10GB, etc. But with the ability to remove storage as well if required. Whilst the 100GB promo is very appealing, it could be quite a while before I'd be able to "resell" it - so could just be a wasted investment. (?) And then maybe in the future, when I've allocated the full 100GB and need more storage/mailboxes, but there is no comparable promo available?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

@DocRoot said:

Are the (promo) plans expandable? Can you "bolt on" an extra 5, 10, 15 GB, etc.?

I doubt the promotional plans are expandable, but @jarland is running a 50% off recurring promo right now (link in his sig). So you might be able to get him to honor that on upgrades.

Best to reach out via sales ticket to get a solid answer on that though.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Just yesterday got a 100GB one... and now, he has 50% all services... gosh, is there a refund or at least send that money to the new plan? haha

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@netomx said:
    Just yesterday got a 100GB one... and now, he has 50% all services... gosh, is there a refund or at least send that money to the new plan? haha

Feel free to open a ticket :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomx said: and now, he has 50% all services.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Again... didn't need it -- couldn't refuse... sigh... Thanks @jarland

Thanked by 2netomx MikePT
  • Where is the 100gb order link ?

@Harambe said:

@DocRoot said:

I doubt the promotional plans are expandable, but @jarland is running a 50% off recurring promo right now (link in his sig). So you might be able to get him to honor that on upgrades.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AmitX said:
    Where is the 100gb order link ?

@Harambe said:

@DocRoot said:

Black Friday 2017

@AmitX said: Where is the 100gb order link ?

>

Click his profile, click discussions, and grab the link from his black friday thread. Coupon is on the link in his signature.

• @Harambe said:

@AmitX said: Where is the 100gb order link ?

>

Click his profile, click discussions, and grab the link from his black friday thread. Coupon is on the link in his signature.

Is this still available? No links in @jarland sig or blackfriday post.

@khaled said:

Scroll up and look at his signature again. 3rd post in this thread.

• @Harambe said:

@khaled said:

Scroll up and look at his signature again. 3rd post in this thread.

Not showing any sigs, maybe because I'm on my mobile?

I did get the link though and signed up for it. Thanks!