Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gmail vs O365 vs Zoho vs others
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gmail vs O365 vs Zoho vs others

Hi everyone

I have been using fastmail for about a year now. I switched to Gmail Apps as I wanted ActiveSync & Google photo storage.

Just wondering if the competition is any better?

Thanks

Comments

• I would rate them as:

Gmail > Fastmail > Zoho > O356

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

akb said: I would rate them as:

Gmail > Fastmail > Zoho > O356

On what basis?

• GSuite <3

• For pure email I like fastmail better than gmail. No idea about activesync. There's a fastmail mobile app (ios and android) but I've never used it. Fastmail has a very minimal file/photo storage feature but it doesn't compare to gsuite's I'm sure. I haven't cared though.

• akbakb Member
    edited February 2018

@raindog308 said: On what basis?

Based on my own experience with them. Have used all 4.

GSuite: Features 9, Webmail 10, Deliverability 10, Spam Filtering 10, Privacy 0
    Fastmail: Features 9, Webmail 9, Deliverability 9, Spam Filtering 6, Privacy 5
    Zoho: Features 9.5, Webmail 8, Deliverability 8, Spam Filtering 5, Privacy ?
    O356: Features 7,  Webmail 8, Deliverability 8, Spam Filtering 6, Privacy 0

Thats just my subjective ranking of them. Your mileage may vary.

Thanked by 1willie
  • What about yandex mail?

• rumi4rumi4 Member
    edited February 2018

Also Gsuite a O356 have I think not paid option for non profit organisations, schools ect...

• Having used both gsuite and O365, I have to say I prefer O365. Microsoft's interface feels more polished and you can tweak the Exchange settings to. I guess as Microsoft own ActiveSync and license it to others it's always slight more advanced. I last used GSuite a couple of years ago, but I never managed to get activesync working as I expected, Google support couldn't work it out either.

I can't comment on the others as I haven't used them.

If you are just talking about email, then O365 does have an email only plan; the Exchange online packages, however, I have found the O365 business plans to be much better value!

• LeeLee Veteran

Gmail for it just works, my main email domain was registered in 2001, the spam I get is atrocious. But Gmail filters it all so accurately. Never have I seen an email in my inbox I didn't want or expect to see. The interface is dated though, as are the features.

Outlook is the opposite, great interface, good features but I when I last tried it a couple of years ago the spam getting through into the inbox was so bad I gave up on it.

Fastmail used to be good, but it seems like it's being run by accountants and developers that don't care about users opinions.

Zoho, works, solid enough but I hate the interface.

• Office 365 is a significantly better product than the others. Exchange is significantly better at managing real sync across multiple devices and platforms. There really is a significant gap between O365 and GMail. GMail with its Gmail web interface is easily the next best but none of the IMAP services are particularly good with offline clients.

• CrogicCrogic Member
    edited February 2018

Any one tried Amazon Workmail?

Only $4.00 per month with 50 GB mail storage.

• For Personal Use, Gmail wins for me... From a medium-large business, office 365...

• @rumi4 said:
    What about yandex mail?

Beats all the others in free category. No complaints.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Well, GSuite basically beats every other provider in terms of deliverability and reliability. I haven't had a single % of downtime so far and GSuite's support team is at least 50000% more competent than OVH. (not really a fair comparison, but you get the point)

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited February 2018

@mikei said:

@rumi4 said:
    What about yandex mail?

Beats all the others in free category. No complaints.

Second that...

Zoho used to be good with free tier offering but they stopped IMAP on free accounts. So Yandex lives as the only good free alternative.

As for the OP:

Gmail Wins over with SPAM Filtering, the single most decisive factor in todays world, be it companies or individuals. Yet, the Exchange IMAP/ActiveSync is a big advantage, atleast for the corporate email niche... if they can come even 80% close to Gmail's (Postini) SPAM filter engine, they will win hands over.

• Yeah I used workmail when it was in beta. It was ok, but just that ok... No bells or whistles I don't know what it's like now.

• @Crogic said:
    Any one tried Amazon Workmail?

Only $4.00 per month with 50 GB mail storage.

I'm using it currently and have been since their BETA. I have no issues with it at all except their webmail is horrendous. I was seeing so many bugs in it that I had to set up the mail account in Thunderbird to use it. Also, the search in their webmail is awful as well.

All in all, if you don't need a webmail interface from them, I can recommend them.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@mehargags Zoho hasn't stopped IMAP on new accoutns. When was your account created? Also are you sure you didn't disable it. Contact support.

• @mehargags: By default IMAP is turned off. Login as the admin account. Go to the control panel > mail accounts > click on IMAP and activate it.

The only option that is not available for Free Tier in that section is ActiveSync.

Back to the question, zoho is sometimes slow in delivery. It can take a couple of minutes to deliver messages which is annoying. Though for 25 free users, one can't complain. The performance is better on the paid plans (even the starting 2$ one which give 30GB storage)

Haven't used Gsuite, but the storage they give on some plans seems tempting.

• @Radi said:
    @mehargags Zoho hasn't stopped IMAP on new accoutns. When was your account created? Also are you sure you didn't disable it. Contact support.
    @ramesh_vish said:
    @mehargags: By default IMAP is turned off. Login as the admin account. Go to the control panel > mail accounts > click on IMAP and activate it.

The only option that is not available for Free Tier in that section is ActiveSync.

Back to the question, zoho is sometimes slow in delivery. It can take a couple of minutes to deliver messages which is annoying. Though for 25 free users, one can't complain. The performance is better on the paid plans (even the starting 2$ one which give 30GB storage)

Haven't used Gsuite, but the storage they give on some plans seems tempting.

IMAP is no longer available on Free Zoho Mail Plans:
    https://help.zoho.com/portal/community/topic/zoho-free-tier-pop-imap-activesync-no-longer-free

• @nqservices didn't know this.. kinda sucks. Maybe they should introduce a smaller fee for this. Not everyone wants to upgrade to 30Gb

• @ramesh_vish said:
    @nqservices didn't know this.. kinda sucks. Maybe they should introduce a smaller fee for this. Not everyone wants to upgrade to 30Gb

I guess we will start seeing people selling their "old" free accounts on ebay ;)

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

We're currently moving from Office 365 to G Suite.

Email, contacts and calendar are good on Office 365.

But if you want to work collaboratively online on a document, G Suite is the way to go.

With Office 365 when you press a key and you want your co-worker to see it, you have time to go grab a beer... from the gas station... from the other side of the planet.

• actually i have gmail free email and i'm confusing if buy gsuite or o360
    the reasone is in gmail I have a payed module where advise if someone open an email very helpfull but sometime go in the spam.

in o365 is there something similar?

• What I DISlike about O365 (for private users: personal/home) is:
    Last fall they integrated the features of "outlook.com premium" into O365 personal/home. But in the process of doing so, they removed the "custom domain" feature, allowing people to use their own domain in O365 private user plans.

So: as personal/home user, you continue to pay for two seperate contracts: office / email.
    And you miss out on the benefits of integration such as editing attachments of emails online or deep OneDrive <-> email integration.

What a shame.

Google delivers that from day 1.

MS product managers: shame on you!

• Posteo for private mail.
    Microsoft Exchange for business mail.

Thanked by 1pike
  • Zoho is not fully featured but cheap and easy to use.

GSuite is easy to deploy and manage more functionalities are available.

Whereas Office365 is more complicated but allows integration for the classic enterprise administration tools like active directory.

So I suggest you should try both Gsuite and Office365 with your team and see which fits best for your workflow.