Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brixly cPanel Reseller/Shared enhancment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Brixly cPanel Reseller/Shared enhancment

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited February 2018 in Providers

Just got an interesting e-mail even though Im not a client anymore (just used their trial once but cost wise went with another solution).
The LS part is meh but they gotta make it look bad in order to promote their solution (which I still like due to having the different options).

Our goal since inception has been to provide one of the UK's fastest hosting platforms.
As most of you will already know, since Brixly started almost 5 years ago, we have tried to push the boundaries of website hosting performance to the limits.

We aren't sheep - we have never followed the footsteps of our competition by providing the fairly common 'Litespeed' web server - instead, its of our opinion that our configuration can outperform this entirely (and has been proven to on a number of occasions).

The reason we feel this is the case is because Litespeed is a commercial product licensed 'per CPU core' - the problem here is, modern day computing allows for a large number of cores per server (for example, the majority of our shared servers run 32 Cores). The maximum licence size for Litespeed is their '8-CPU Licence'.

What does this mean?
Basically, not all of the servers compute power can be used for serving content via its web server, so no matter how large the server the limit will be in the processes the web server can handle. Any processes used outside of those restrictions are processed by Apache.

So, how do we do things differently?
By default, our platform works with what we consider to be the world's fastest web server, 'nginx' (pronounced Engine-X) to serve 'static' content / resources then the rest of the 'processing' is handled by Apache using mod_lsapi.

The reason we proxy over to Apache is because you will already be familiar with its benefits, such as .htaccess files and rewrite rules. This allows us to massively increase performance of all sites by default using some clever nginx configuration on the 'front layer', handle huge volumes of concurrent traffic and still provide compatibility with almost any application / script or site you wish to run on your hosting account.

This isn't standard Apache though - its years of experience of working with large e-commerce retailers and handling huge volumes of traffic, piped straight into our standard configuration for shared hosting.

The process of the two web servers communicating with each other is called a 'reverse-proxy'...

This configuration is default, and is incredibly fast, reliable and flexible. But, here's what's new...
OK - so we have explained the reason your sites are already fast - there's our secrets out! But, here's the exciting part (well, to the nerds anyway!)...

What if we were to 'remove' the Apache layer entirely? So that just Nginx serves your content?

Of course, it would be even faster - however, PHP scripts in your sites would still need to be processed. The problem here is, most scripts (including WordPress, Magento, Joomla etc) require their own 'rewrite' rules to serve the pages correctly. This is exactly the reason why its not been an option for a shared host to provide pure nginx hosting on a flexible scale.

Until Now.

It is now possible on all of our Shared / Reseller plans to switch any site to use 'Native' Nginx (or, nginx only) with PHP-FPM. This will without doubt improve the performance of your site, as Apache is in most cases the bottleneck of any type of website.

Of course, we would need to combat the issue of 'script compatibility' - this is why you now have additional options within your cPanel...

Nginx Cluster Control
The process of switching to pure-nginx has been simplified for you. Clicking through to the CloudNS (or XtendWeb on some servers) plugin, you will be presented with a new button...

AUTO SWITCH TO NGINX

By pressing this button, our platform will attempt to 'recognise' the type of script you are running and will pre-populate your settings with a recommended 'nginx' template. This means you don't have to worry about understanding 'nginx directives' (which are the nginx equivelant of .htaccess files).

Once you have pressed that button, voila! You are running your already fast website, even faster through pure nginx!

That's all, surely?! Nope!

From the same screen, you will see a 'Configure' option against a list of your domains / subdomains. Hit that, and you will be presented with some shiny new options...

Proxy (our 'Default' configuration) - This is where your site is handled by our existing configuration as explained at the start of this email. Its fast already, so if you aren't feeling so daring, leave it as is!

PHP (pure-nginx, with PHP-FPM) - In our opinion, this is one of the most compatible, fastest ways to serve the content of your site. Switching over to thi and your site will be blazing! Like it wasn't already, hey?

You will notice when you select this option, that you will be presented with two lists...
Backend Version - Basically, this is the PHP version you want to run (PHP-FPM instead of httpd / Apache PHP)
Application Template - As nginx doesn't support .htaccess files. this option enables you to select from a pre-defined list of 'templates' most suitable to the script you run. For example, you will see a number of WordPress options in the list - select the one you feel most suitable (if your not sure, just select WordPress)
HHVM - Yes, thats right. For you nerds who know it, we now support HHVM. I won't explain what it is! Look it up!

WordPress Full Page Caching with Redis:

Who fancies another little speed boost?!

If you are running WordPress for your website and its a 'static' type site (as opposed to one with login areas, or e-commerce) then you can select 'WordPress - Full Page Cache + Nginx Helper'

The performance from this little tweak is incomparable (wipes the floor with Varnish (no pun intended)) - this is FULL PAGE CACHING to memory. Ensure though you install the 'nginx helper' plugin for WordPress (don't open tickets saying 'my changes aren't showing on my site after enabling this option).

Thats all for now!

Comments

• Soooooooooo. Why not just get a vps then?

• @vovler said:
    Soooooooooo. Why not just get a vps then?

The point being that I like the fact that a shared host offer includes these options :)

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

There is nothing new to this. We have been offering this for more than 6 months now. They are using xtendweb - https://autom8n.com/

Thanked by 3Ympker MikeA BlaZe
  • @Host4Geeks said:
    There is nothing new to this. We have been offering this for more than 6 months now. They are using xtendweb - https://autom8n.com/

Fair point. I haven't however encountered many shared web Hosts offering this.

• Oh boy, if a shared host isn't offering Nginx that's a red flag.

• @Crandolph said:
    Oh boy, if a shared host isn't offering Nginx that's a red flag.

They are offering various improvements though. Not just the ability to use nginx.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited February 2018

@Ympker said:

@vovler said:

The point being that I like the fact that a shared host offer includes these options :)

Its interesting, but not necessarly good.

This 'inovation' is only marketing, a reason to increase prices and a way to oversell even further a node.

The problem is that while selling VPS you are able to limit resource usage, and on shared you are able to limit it with Cloudlinux, moving to nginx, removes the ability to do so (unless they implement it), and they will surely try to oversell even more and I see it ending up in a disaster.

Plus Litespeed is almost on par with nginx when it comes to performance, and the "issue" they mention with the LS licensing on CPU cores is not even a bottleneck.

If you want nginx, get a VPS.

___Edit: read the autom8n features

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @vovler said:

@Ympker said:

@vovler said:

Its interesting, but not necessarly good.

This 'inovation' is only marketing, a reason to increase prices and a way to oversell even further a node.

The problem is that while selling VPS you are able to limit resource usage, and on shared you are able to limit it with Cloudlinux, moving to nginx, removes the ability to do so (unless they implement it), and they will surely try to oversell even more and I see it ending up in a disaster.

Plus Litespeed is almost on par with nginx when it comes to performance, and the "issue" they mention with the LS licensing on CPU cores is not even a bottleneck.

If you want nginx, get a VPS.

I mentioned that their LS argument was meh earlier though :P

Thanked by 1vovler
  • @Ympker said:

@Crandolph said:

They are offering various improvements though. Not just the ability to use nginx.

Yep, pure Nginx which would be more complicated for the average beginner (outside of the templates which could be also easily be broken by a beginner trying to do something).

I still think likely for most people Nginx + Apache is probably the best combo here, just for ease of use for everyone and compatibility. That's what I use / have my clients use currently.

It's a nice feature though for sure.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Crandolph said:

@Ympker said:

@Crandolph said:

Yep, pure Nginx which would be more complicated for the average beginner (outside of the templates which could be also easily be broken by a beginner trying to do something).

I still think likely for most people Nginx + Apache is probably the best combo here, just for ease of use for everyone and compatibility. That's what I use / have my clients use currently.

It's a nice feature though for sure.

Nginx+apache is not the "standard" for nothing :)

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Ympker said:

@Crandolph said:

Yes, but if you are an average person that just wants a wordpress blog, it doesn't offer nothing more than LS already does, it actually lacks features.

If you want to use nginx and some advanced features, again, go with a VPS/Dedi

There are people that know how to work with nginx, and those who don't. They are targeting the in-between, whoever that might be.

Thanked by 2Ympker Junkless