Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free/Cheap Whois Guard
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free/Cheap Whois Guard

Is there a free or cheap whois guard out there besides the normal ones provided by namecheap, etc. I'd rather this be reliable and trust worthy more than anything. However, I am tried of the crappy spam emails of "Want to buy this domain?"

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• namesilo has it free (when I switched some over)

• Freenom works for me so far

• Most whois privacy services are connected to domain sellers. And even the "free" is questionable; I've seen it more than once that A asks 1$ less for a given domain but demands 1$ for privacy and B asks 1$ more more for the domain but has the privacy service included ("free").

I personally would rather look at how reasonable and credible their privacy service are. You might want to detail what "trustworthy" means to you.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @vimalware said:
    namesilo has it free (when I switched some over)

Still does, and as far as I understand it always will

• vimalware said: namesilo has it free (when I switched some over)

Godaddy for the first year because of the 0.99 promo + transfer to namesilo =)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

If it’s about spammy emails, why not create a new mailbox and set that as the domain registrant? In case you need it, it would be there, aside from that, you could abandon the inbox?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Ympker said:
    Freenom works for me so far

Thanks for pointing out freenom to me, I had no idea you could get free domains.. and to think of all the money i've spent on domains in the past for useless projects that went nowhere..

Thanked by 2isaacl Ympker
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Wait till you discover how to create subdomains and not even bother with Freenom...

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@rm_ said:
    Wait till you discover how to create subdomains and not even bother with Freenom...

Aren't they created with an A record at freenom? Or just use freenom ns and cpanel dns ?

• As I understand you need a system to protect your email address more than a 'whois privacy'?

myprivacy.ca could do the trick. It will allow you to get emails only from domains in a whitelist. Add your registrar in case they need to contact you and you're good to go.

That said, I had no problem with the 'basic' privacy system offered by namesilo: it works well and their pricing is quite cheap for renewals. When I registered my first domain there I used the code "LOWENDTALK" for a 1$ discount, it's probably still working.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2018

Ympker said: Aren't they created with an A record at freenom? Or just use freenom ns and cpanel dns ?

What freedom has even to do with this? Or cpanel? Point is that you can create as much subdomains for experimental and throwaway projects as you want on some single domain that you already own, you don't need going to any registrar whatsoever and don't need to get 2nd level domains for everything. Seems like even if you're a "Member, Provider", DNS is still hard for you?

• brian777brian777 Member
    edited February 2018

@Ympker said:

@rm_ said:

Aren't they created with an A record at freenom? Or just use freenom ns and cpanel dns ?

Subdomain created by DNS provider, Most domain registrar are also provide DNS service for free for domain you have registered with them, you can change DNS provider for your domain by change the NS, i will just suggest you to use Cloudflare, it's much easier and faster, if you just need names for all your dedicated IP's you can just disable the CDN proxy. And after this you don't need to use NS from cpanel provider, just input IPv4 they have provided to you into A record on the sub/domain.

• @rm_ said:

Ympker said: Aren't they created with an A record at freenom? Or just use freenom ns and cpanel dns ?

What freedom has even to do with this? Or cpanel? Point is that you can create as much subdomains for experimental and throwaway projects as you want on some single domain that you already own, you don't need going to any registrar whatsoever and don't need to get 2nd level domains for everything. Seems like even if you're a "Member, Provider", DNS is still hard for you?

Oh I misread that. I thought you were saying that creating subdomains with domains registered at freenom is especially hard. Was just gonna point out that this is not the case.

• I'd also like it for the privacy so people can't look me up.

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2018

Porkbun provides it also with domains it offers for free.

If mails are the problem just enable filtering of mails on your account :).

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

I hope the GDPR will have the speculated effects on the "Whois Privacy" market

Ympker said: Freenom works for me so far

Are you referring to their free tier (where you aren't the owner of the domain) or to their paid tier (IDShield)? Their ToS, at §8 ("suspension or termination and disclosure of your personal information"), point 11, states

If it comes to Backend Service Provider's attention that you are alleged to be using the WHOIS Privacy Services administered by ID Shield for purposes of engaging in, participating in, sponsoring or hiding your involvement in illegal or morally objectionable activities, including but not limited to, activities which are designed, intended to or otherwise:

Appeal primarily to prurient interests

(emphasis added)

now, they're NL based, so I hope that their interpretation off "prurient" isn't strict at all. But that's pretty much a blank clause

AlyssaD said: trust worthy more than anything

Some ccTLD have a a private whois "per default" (that is: it's not a proxy service offered by the registrar). Comes to mind .nl (allows to expose only the Registrar informations), .eu ( registrant is disclosed only via eurid, and if it's a private individual typically only a mail address needs to be exposed)

From your OP I guess that you tried some Privacy Whois service at namecheap but you got some spam incoming... from namecheap itself, correct? As already stated, these whois proxy services are pretty much always connected with your registrar, so.. you'd need a proxy registrant, such as https://njal.la/ . I can't/won't vouch for it/them but I did read some good reviews a while ago, anyway that's really like going full ballistic

If you only care about spam there's the old spamgourmet —or, you know, disposable alias addresses

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited February 2018

mfs said: Some ccTLD have a a private whois "per default" (that is: it's not a proxy service offered by the registrar). Comes to mind .nl (allows to expose only the Registrar informations), .eu ( registrant is disclosed only via eurid, and if it's a private individual typically only a mail address needs to be exposed)

From your OP I guess that you tried some Privacy Whois service at namecheap but you got some spam incoming... from namecheap itself, correct? As already stated, these whois proxy services are pretty much always connected with your registrar, so.. you'd need a proxy registrant, such as https://njal.la/ . I can't/won't vouch for it/them but I did read some good reviews a while ago, anyway that's really like going full ballistic

If you only care about spam there's the old spamgourmet —or, you know, disposable alias addresses

I just don't feel like shelling out upwards of 100$ a year for whois guard, especially when it isn't that big of a service.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@mfs said:
    I hope the GDPR will have the speculated effects on the "Whois Privacy" market

Ympker said: Freenom works for me so far

Are you referring to their free tier (where you aren't the owner of the domain) or to their paid tier (IDShield)? Their ToS, at §8 ("suspension or termination and disclosure of your personal information"), point 11, states

If it comes to Backend Service Provider's attention that you are alleged to be using the WHOIS Privacy Services administered by ID Shield for purposes of engaging in, participating in, sponsoring or hiding your involvement in illegal or morally objectionable activities, including but not limited to, activities which are designed, intended to or otherwise:

Appeal primarily to prurient interests

(emphasis added)

now, they're NL based, so I hope that their interpretation off "prurient" isn't strict at all. But that's pretty much a blank clause

AlyssaD said: trust worthy more than anything

Some ccTLD have a a private whois "per default" (that is: it's not a proxy service offered by the registrar). Comes to mind .nl (allows to expose only the Registrar informations), .eu ( registrant is disclosed only via eurid, and if it's a private individual typically only a mail address needs to be exposed)

I have both, free Domains and a paid domain for a simple page (.net) there.
    That being said a lot of my free domains have just been used to test smth once then idle and some already got deleted eventually. Nothing crucial on there that I care about. Phone support was friendly.

• +1 for namesilo. Cheap domains, free WHOIS guard, and absolutely no shenanigans. A really good, clean registrar.