Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor relay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tor relay

Can i host a Tor relay - not exit on hetzner’s new Cloud vps?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

I wouldn't suggest doing anything of the sort with any German provider.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

No.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited January 2018

According to the graph here -- https://metrics.torproject.org/bubbles.html#as -- (Hetzner is one of the largest bubbles)...

There's already plenty of relays on Hetzner's network. So while it probably is doable, you won't be contributing much to the TOR project since that location is already heavily saturated.

Edit: And as @WSS said, doing anything that's an abuse-magnet with a German provider is a big no-no.

• Thanks for The responce :-)

• MansonR, Can you suggest a place/provide where i Can host a relay that Will contribute to The Tor network?

• hzrhzr Member

any non major provider that isn't cheap

• Thanks hzr, but i was also thinking of a place that was not too saturated with Tor relays..

• LeeLee Veteran

Netsat said: i was also thinking of a place that was not too saturated with Tor relays..

Which is

hzr said: any non major provider that isn't cheap

• hzrhzr Member

yes - that's what I'm saying. every single cheap provider (leaseweb, ovh, hetz..) is completely oversaturated to the point of pointlessness.

• I dont mind paying premium. I just want to support a free internet, where all Can access What they want.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

MasonR said: doing anything that's an abuse-magnet

Non-exit relays aren't, though.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • hzrhzr Member

rm_ said: Non-exit relays aren't, though.

The unfortunate part is that you still end up on every ip blacklist and anonymizer blacklist even as a non-exit. Because they don't care and will list you anyway.

• @hzr
    How could they know that? A Tor relay, just relay data to another Tor relay, no Way “they” Will know What data transfere. U sure you dont mean a Tor exit?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2018

hzr said: you still end up on every ip blacklist and anonymizer blacklist even as a non-exit.

Not "every", but you do on some.

Netsat said: no Way “they” Will know What data transfere

People are dumb and don't know how Tor works -- and that includes people running some of the blacklists. A few of them add you not out of any actual abuse, but simply because your IP is listed as a "Tor relay", no matter exit or not.

Still doesn't exactly qualify as an "abuse magnet" in the usual sense of the term.

Thanked by 3WSS Ole_Juul FHR