Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu broke my Firefox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu broke my Firefox?

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and I recently stupidly updated the Firefox to I think Firefox Quantum and now it won't start Firefox. I tried to manually installed version 55 of Firefox by downloading from their FTP but get the same error when it starts up. I have a lot of passwords etc saved in Firefox so would like to get it working again. I get the error below.

!

https://imgur.com/a/RufZk

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

firefox --ProfileManager Make a new Profile, copy your data over, without the extensions.

• Still having to do that? Thought they would have fixed it by now.

• WSSWSS Member

@lazyt said:
    Still having to do that? Thought they would have fixed it by now.

*Shrug* Who tries to roll Firefox Quantium over ~40, drops to 55 and expects it to work with the same profile?

• Missed the Quantum years back I had to do the profile trick every time Firefox updated.

• WSSWSS Member

@lazyt said:
    Missed the Quantum years back I had to do the profile trick every time Firefox updated.

I only use extensions I trust implicitly, so I've only done that like twice. :D

• Bad part is, I didn't have any extensions installed then.

• Firefox Quantum is pretty broken for me too.

The browser itself is still usable, but clicking on anything in the tab bar (including tabs) doesn't work at all. I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 and I've already reset Firefox several times.

• WSSWSS Member

Time to install Chrome.

• I am still running ESR v52 because firefox been shit the last year.

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    Firefox Quantum is pretty broken for me too.

The browser itself is still usable, but clicking on anything in the tab bar (including tabs) doesn't work at all. I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 and I've already reset Firefox several times.

try installing from firefox.com directly? to check if its ubuntu who piss firefox or its another else

• alt-f4

• Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• quick said: Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yes, and then it stopped working for a while.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@WSS said:
    Time to install Chrome.

chromium, premium.

• you should have backed up Firefox app data before upgrading to quantum.

My upgrade last week went off well (56 to 58). I only had to upgrade treeStyleTabs and noscript to the web extension versions.

I certainly don't like the higher CPU temps from all the content processes(I reduced to 2). I might just roll back to 56 if I can't find a sane config and use chrome for sandboxed browser processes.

• happybeehappybee Member, Host Rep

Install Synaptic Package Manager and downgrade to the previous Firefox version using it.

• WSSWSS Member

@Neoon said:

@WSS said:
    Time to install Chrome.

chromium, premium.

Chremium, even.