Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 5 "Lenny" - End of security support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 5 "Lenny" - End of security support

NickMNickM Member
edited February 2012 in General

As per this announcement on the Debian Security mailing list, security support for Debian 5 codename "Lenny" ends today. This means there will be no longer be any updates to patch new security vulnerabilities discovered in Debian 5. The dotdeb repo (and probably other popular repos) is also discontinuing updates for Debian 5.

If you're currently running Debian 5, you should upgrade your installation to Debian 6. If you're unsure whether you are running Debian 5 or not, you can check by running the command lsb_release -a. Information about upgrading can be found in the Debian manual.

Providers should probably remove their Debian 5 templates, or at the very least, display a prominent notice that Debian 5 is no longer receiving security updates.

Thanked by 2rds100 djvdorp

Comments

• Looks like it's time to remove the OS templates for it too!

• @breton said: Official howto ftw!

tl;dr :P

@Damian4IPXcore said: Looks like it's time to remove the OS templates for it too!

yep! i will remove our lenny template on Feb 29. :P

• OMFG! What I will do with my 123sucks boxes and their broken Debian xD

Maybe I must point them to archive.debian.org :D

• efballefball Member
    edited February 2012

"What I will do with my 123sucks boxes and their broken Debian".

I have Debian 6 on a 123Systems box. Edit /etc/init.d/vzquota and add this at the top:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: vzquota
    # Required-Start: $local_fs $time $syslog
    # Required-Stop: $local_fs
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
    # Short-Description: Start vzquota at the end of boot
    # Description: Configure OpenVZ disk quota for a container.
    ### END INIT INFO

• @efball

Thanks I know, but you need to replace that file on each reboot because OpenVZ deletes your file u_u and puts his own =/

• tuxtux Member
    edited February 2012

@yomero
    Try this after file edit
    chattr +i /etc/init.d/vzquota

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

@tux
    Interesting idea, never tried chattr for anything. But I will try later.

At this moment my workaround was to replace my custom copy at boot :P

• @Mon5t3r said: yep! i will remove our lenny template on Feb 29. :P

if someone looking for debian 6 templates for Virtualizor KVM just contact me. free only for LET community. (i'm thinking to sell this for paying my coffee and cigar) :P

• trelawneytrelawney Member
    edited February 2012

I felt like a total noob when I broke the upgrade (i've successfully upgraded lenny to squeeze in a dedicated server, back in 2010.. but Xen is different apparently or I botched something up).

I'd like to use this opportunity to thank Matt from vooservers.co.uk for his time and effort to solve this in a matter of minutes DESPITE my trying to sabotage his effort by omitting the right ssh port, the fact i had disabled root logins , giving the wrong username etc etc. Excellent service, best host I've used to date (been through 4 hosts so far)