Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had a domain crisis and magic happened but I want to prevent it from happening again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I had a domain crisis and magic happened but I want to prevent it from happening again

Hello let
Like I said I had a horrid domain crisis I tried to solve all day. I changed Ips and server when I jumped onto the Hetzner cloud.

Thanks to some magic (I got no clue what the hell fixed it) it's been solved but I would like to avoid this time waster in the future. What steps can you recommend?

short version

when I changed servers, I did not take some important files and did not destroy aa records emediately. Read long version to learn more. Also I was using letsincript incription.

Too long to read

I used to be at vmhaus and then I changed servers. But when I did this, I did not save anything thinking it wasn't useful and even deleted my back ups.

But when I got my Hetzner cloud, I thought simply changing my old AA records would be enough to fix the problem but it turns out, it wasn't enough because still when I went to my website it showed an insecure connection (like super insecure).

Also I suspect my domain was somehow redirecting me to some random persons website because if I forced my browser to go to that website I got a random login screen even though I changed records from old ip.

It fixed finally (my laravel is giving me beautiful quotes about simplisity now which is quite ironic because I had a very frustrating day).

Comments

• Don’t have advice regarding the DNS but..
    (Don’t delete backups..)

• Maybe the records were still in the DNS cache?

• I even talked to the Name cheap support and they said it was ok on their end and their ssl people said to remove redirects but I had none at the time because I destroyed my previous vps.

I think the crisis happened or was made worse by the fact I didn't do something to the letsincript files before nuking my vps also I should have moved records as soon as possible.

• @hammer said:

Set up new service a number of days before dropping the old one..

Backup / Copy Letsencrypt folder- to your new setup , the certificate will still be valid even though the IP has changed !

Change DNS records to point to new service - then wait for DNS caches to expire before taking down old service.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2018

I'm trying to understand what happened here...

You made DNS A records towards a new hosting IP and your ssl broke?

If it's shared hosting server the 443 on that IP in particular is probably used by some other person. You could locate that person by investigating who of the other customers on that server has a moustache. It's most likely him, or her - let's not be discriminative here. You'll need a dedicated IP, or even better a vps that you'll configure according to your own needs.

If you aren't talking about shared hosting, then it's either old recird cache poisoning (will go away on it's own, depending on your old dns configuration), or you mistype the new ip in the A record, or somebody pwned you (dns/http server) good time.

Or to put it simple, if in doubt, put more magic (time + effort) until it works as expected.

• @Janevski
    I wrongly assumed that if I deleted my server and just made my domain point to the parking page everything would be ok.

I was totally wrong however. Because when I unparked my domain after buying a new vps, it was still pointing at something and somehow it was using port 443.
    Luckily magic fixed it. So can I inable ssl again now?

• @hammer said:
    @Janevski
    I wrongly assumed that if I deleted my server and just made my domain point to the parking page everything would be ok.

I was totally wrong however. Because when I unparked my domain after buying a new vps, it was still pointing at something and somehow it was using port 443. t

If the VM IP got reassigned to another customer running an SSL site you will end there until DNS caches time out.

There should be no problem in enabling TLS on your new server and requesting a new cert from Letsencrypt - if DNS caches are still not timed out it will simply fail.

Luckily magic fixed it. So can I inable ssl again now?

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic" - A.C. Clarke