Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does KVM CPU work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does KVM CPU work?

peachstolipeachstoli Member
edited September 2013 in Help

I have few doubts on kvm visualization.
Does KVM share CPU ?. Or each core is dedicated to virtual machines ?.
Lets say I have a 4 core CPU. Does it mean i can only run 4 virtual machines ?.

Comments

• It would be shared, Noone will dedicated 4 cores to you for leb prices. They will let u burst to all 4 usage if needed but wont let you sit at 100% usage on all 4 cores for prolonged periods.

• peachstolipeachstoli Member
    edited September 2013

I have a dedi with softlayer, im trying to make it a kvm node ( solus vm ) for my personal use. So solusvm will use shared method by default right ?.

• @peachstoli said:
    I have a dedi with softlayer, im trying to make it a kvm node ( solus vm ) for my personal use. So solusvm will use shared method by default right ?.

Yeah.

• Thanks for your help guys :)

• You can adjust the CPU set which will adjust the affinity of the CPU. Aka on which core will you assign your virtual CPU's. You can do this in solusvm by adding the paramater manually, you can read about it here --> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/ch25s06.html

If your using this for personal use you should be fine using the shared method.

• Thanks for the link Ryan. I prefer shared method.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

Also latest version of SolusVM supports CPU shares which I believe allows you to assign relative weights in relation to other VMs as to how much percentage of CPU cycles are allocated. Sounds sort of like CPU% in OpenVZ.