Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

solaris?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

solaris?

mik_dmik_d Member
edited February 2012 in General

solaris 11 vps?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If you find one let me know. I'm in need of one also. :(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The best you can probably get is KVM.

KVM isn't perfect though as USB support is broken in Solaris 11. It's possible it's better in one of the opensource versions.

Francisco

• Dumb question but, why I may need USB? An usb stick? xDDD

well, to actually install the OS :)

KVM uses USB for the mouse and keyboard so it wouldn't work. It's possible they've fixed that since then but yup.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: KVM uses USB for the mouse and keyboard so it wouldn't work

Wow, that's weird :S

@yomero said: Wow, that's weird :S

Not really :)

PS/2 doesn't support hot plugging (or at least not w/o chancing a server lockup) so it was obvious they'd be using USB to handle their CDROM and a lot of things like that. USB I guess was just easy for them to work with :)

Francisco

• PS/2 is fine to hotplug - you'd run the risk of burning out I/O lines on flaky hardware back in the 90s. I don't know why QEMU/KVM uses USB for the keyboard, but they use an emulated USB tablet as the mouse because it reports absolute positions, not relative positions.

I was just introduced to Solaris Containers tonight at work and after some research it sounds similar to OpenVZ for Linux. I plan on playing around with OpenSolaris so I can get familiar with it but it looks like Containers is included in it also. I might setup a node just to play with but if you are interested send me a PM (these won't be production, just for testing/learning).

• Might wanna look at http://smartos.org/ also.

• I think even VirtualBox uses USB now. PS/2 is like dead now.

Tried OpenSolaris? but I don't know why you would need Solaris.

• If you want native support of ZFS then you will either want Solaris or FreeBSD.

Many people use ZFS for a SAN or NAS.

• @pro said: Many people use ZFS for a SAN or NAS.

ZFS is amazing.

@Daniel said: but I don't know why you would need Solaris

At work we use Solaris and RedHat for our *nix servers, I'm familiar with RedHat but I've never used Solaris so it'd be nice for me to play around on something I am able to break and rebuild.