Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal with spam on Wordpress blogs? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you deal with spam on Wordpress blogs?

2»

Comments

• install akismet and captcha

• anti-captcha works fine for me. no captcha, happy visitors.

• WSSWSS Member

I have it automatically repost it to tumblr. After 20 people are triggered, that poster gets flagged. After 200, I might look at it.

• @WSS said:
    I have it automatically repost it to tumblr. After 20 people are triggered, that poster gets flagged. After 200, I might look at it.

bestpractice2K18

• All in one wordpress security,

• WSSWSS Member

rm -rf public_html/* public_html/.ht*

• I've found Akismet is all that's needed. Have had several blogs stay clean for years. Of course you also need to set it to have the first comment approved. Use email notification if you want to avoid checking the blog comments frequently.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • lurchlurch Member
    edited January 2018

wp-spamshield has been very good for me

WP-SpamShield has blocked 23,866 spam.
    Average spam blocked daily: 21

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Just found out that WP-SpamShield was removed from wordpress.org and is no longer free. I don't like Akismet as you have to register with wordpress.org and I often install wordpress for clients and then they get all confused thinking they are hosted with wordpress.org.

For your entertainment have a read of this https://www.redsandmarketing.com/blog/real-reason-wp-spamshield-kicked-off-wordpress-org/

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I personally avoid wp plugins like the pestilence they are. I have a simple script telling me the most active spammers and auto creating firewall rules. As for the rest, oh well, I delete them by hand; not much work really.

Thanked by 1willie
  • I put all comments containing links and/or from Russian IPs to manual review and so far so good.

• Moderating all comments from non-whitelisted posters works ok for lots of people. Might be different if you have huge comment volume and can't delay comments from new posters.