Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Ryzen CPUs for Virtualization? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Ryzen CPUs for Virtualization?

2»

Comments

• Threadripper will also give you NVME raid by the Way along with 64 pcie lanes. Also you can start with the cheap 8core models and move to the 12 and then 16core later.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I thought there were some providers using the Hetzner servers for KVM. Would be interested to test it. Maybe @Ishaq can get us something.

• @randvegeta said:

But just because it can take ECC sticks, does it actually use the ECC functionality?

ECC memory support is built in and supported on every Zen based processor. It will actually work.

With that said I would personally pay extra for KVMs on Eypc processors with SEV enabled

• Be sure the board has good Japanese capacitors. (I know gigabyte and asus do, on anything mid range and higher )

If Hetzner can run on business desktop grade boards, no reason not to try with the 1700 +prosumer mobos.

Get a couple of boards and put it into heavy burn-in at full TDP.
    I don't see it as any worse a gamble than shitcoins.

• @vimalware said:

Might be a 2-for-1 deal, burn them in by mining shitcoin.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@teamacc said:

@vimalware said:

Might be a 2-for-1 deal, burn them in by mining shitcoin.

Apparently they are pretty good for shitcoins, but a tad power hungry?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

randvegeta said: The benefit of the Threadripper over the 1700 is greater density.

Yup, basically this. I can't fathom building a server with only 64GB of RAM in 2018 but that's just me and my business model. For me the more cores and more RAM the better, but you have to decide what is best for your business model and the Ryzen CPUs are fine models as long as you don't need extremely fast RAM (or don't mind experimenting with different RAM chips).

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

KuJoe said: I can't fathom building a server with only 64GB of RAM in 2018

Well density is important to a lot of people. Not so much for us, as we have our own DC and we are not full. And we have a lot of older gear that will be due to retire before we run out of space, so in all likelyhood we will free up space when those old machines come off line.

This is especially true in Lithuania, where I never foresee a time our DC will ever be full. For me, it's more performance per watt and per dollar. Since those Ryzen are less than 1/3 the price, but probably about 1/2 the performance, it's economical to go for the Ryzen.

Of course if you are using some software license that is charged on a per machine basis, then of course higher density make sense as you can save on licensing. But that's not the case for the budget VM nodes. Even using a panel like Virtualizor, which costs $9 /node /month is still good with lower density nodes.