Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Weird Practices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Weird Practices

Comments

• I have zero faith in DigitalOcean refunding me any unused funds based on their responses so far. Also I don't understand why I have to prepay a month in advance for service that they sell on a hourly basis, they have my documents and my credit card as backup. I have my doubts about their performance and want to run some benchmarking before committing which is why I choose a provider that provides service by the hour in the first place.

@needavps said:

hrm. isn't 8gb optimized a $160 a month instance? your piddly $55 really isn't enough to justify good faith since businesses don't usually work that way. Why not ask about the refund policy. If you deposit $160 to use the 8gb and not used for the end of the month; you can ask for a full refund of the unused balance if it's qualified which is reasonable.

Thanked by 1needavps
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

I have zero faith in DigitalOcean refunding me

I'd withhold that judgement. Not once have I ever seen unused credit be declined a refund. Besides, I can do it myself.

• @needavps said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@needavps said:

hrm. isn't 8gb optimized a $160 a month instance? your piddly $55 really isn't enough to justify good faith since businesses don't usually work that way. Why not ask about the refund policy. If you deposit $160 to use the 8gb and not used for the end of the month; you can ask for a full refund of the unused balance if it's qualified which is reasonable.

8gb optimized is $80 a month.

...why you so quick to reply. He wants a 8vcpus. that's $160. give a guy some time to edit!

Yes... and you mentioned the 8gb optimized plan that costs $80 a month. You never mentioned the 8vcpus.

• Thank you, I have sent you my email via PM.

@jarland said:

@seed4u said:
    @jarland
    I am sorry but I don't agree with your statement. I did follow the steps to establish a good relationship with you, yet every step that I take forward, you keep asking for more.
    I have deposited some funds, I have added PayPal & Credit Card to my account, I have sent verification documents and yet I am still locked to the smallest tier of optimized droplets of 40$ even when my initial deposit was higher. I have never asked to have the keys to the entire datacenter, but I think I have provided enough to be able to run a descent server. I am not going to pursue this any further as this consumed too much of my time as it is. It is your company and your practices.

That's totally fine as well, we don't have to agree on everything, it would be unreasonable to expect that we would. You're not in the wrong about anything here, it's your experience and it's been a bad one. I know the why and I've shared it, but that doesn't retroactively undo your experience either.

If you have a credit card added I don't know why we're asking for more anyway. This should be fine. I think you've provided enough too, now that I understand better what what you've done (apologies if I skipped details already provided).

So let's get this sorted and let me take this event up the chain to share your experience and why it has been a bad one. Let's also get these restrictions removed for you. Can you PM me the email on your account?

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited January 2018

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@needavps said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@needavps said:

8gb optimized is $80 a month.

...why you so quick to reply. He wants a 8vcpus. that's $160. give a guy some time to edit!

Yes... and you mentioned the 8gb optimized plan that costs $80 a month. You never mentioned the 8vcpus.

haha. now you just proved your attention span is quite limited since the OP is talking about 8vcpus so I just mistyped 8gbs! You the only guy mentioning $80; quite the spin you have. However OP is mostly right though;they shouldn't list plans with hourly if they can't accomodate a deposit that can be used for a few hours.

Should be settled now. I'll be reviewing all communication as well, to see what made this experience feel so terrible and unclear. That's within my scope of influence, happy to see to it's improvement.

• jarland said: Now, think in terms of how large a single physical server can be, and how many servers should be kept on standby for new servers. Obviously as a cloud provider you want to have a ton of capacity because otherwise, what's the point? But equally as obvious, there is still a finite number of what you have at a given point in time. So imagine for a moment if we allowed someone to pay us $5 and then create 192GB RAM droplets to their heart's content.

So is this policy for just new DO users or existing DO users too ?

I too wouldn't be happy if the requirement to spin up a large DO droplet is to prepay a month for it rather than the expected pricing policy to be charged on a flexible hourly basis (after all that is what makes cloud hosting pay by the hour billing attractive). Would be costly if someone was intending to use DO API to scale up on demand but having to prepay a month for each scaled up droplet ? No other cloud hosting provider I know of/use has such requirements though.

@eva2000 said:

jarland said: Now, think in terms of how large a single physical server can be, and how many servers should be kept on standby for new servers. Obviously as a cloud provider you want to have a ton of capacity because otherwise, what's the point? But equally as obvious, there is still a finite number of what you have at a given point in time. So imagine for a moment if we allowed someone to pay us $5 and then create 192GB RAM droplets to their heart's content.

I too wouldn't be happy if the requirement to spin up a large DO droplet is to prepay a month for it rather than the expected pricing policy to be charged on a flexible hourly basis (after all that is what makes cloud hosting pay by the hour billing attractive). Would be costly if someone was intending to use DO API to scale up on demand but having to prepay a month for each scaled up droplet ? No other cloud hosting provider I know of/use has such requirements though.

It's a path to developing that relationship and showing your willingness to pay for the services. An established customer should have no such need.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • WSSWSS Member

@eva2000 said:

jarland said: Now, think in terms of how large a single physical server can be, and how many servers should be kept on standby for new servers. Obviously as a cloud provider you want to have a ton of capacity because otherwise, what's the point? But equally as obvious, there is still a finite number of what you have at a given point in time. So imagine for a moment if we allowed someone to pay us $5 and then create 192GB RAM droplets to their heart's content.

Can you read the fucking thread without having it spoon fed? You're one of the more capable folks here. OP RAGE BALLETED himself, and made a new account. DO said "Sorry, you look like a risk. Top off or GTFO."

• This is fixed now, thank you @jarland for making this alright and restoring my confidence in DigitalOcean.

@jarland said:
    Should be settled now. I'll be reviewing all communication as well, to see what made this experience feel so terrible and unclear. That's within my scope of influence, happy to see to it's improvement.

• LeeLee Veteran

seed4u said: I have zero faith in DigitalOcean refunding me

Agreed, place is run by Nazis, Chargeback and consult a good lawyer. I know a guy, Saul Goodman, he is amazing.

Thanked by 2jar hostdare

@Lee said:

Agreed, place is run by Nazis, Chargeback and consult a good lawyer. I know a guy, Saul Goodman, he is amazing.

Don't listen to Joshua Prout here. Just his latest stolen identity.

Thanked by 2Lee hostdare
  • @WSS said:

@eva2000 said:

Can you read the fucking thread without having it spoon fed? You're one of the more capable folks here. OP RAGE BALLETED himself, and made a new account. DO said "Sorry, you look like a risk. Top off or GTFO."

Insulting while giving a complement. Classic

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@Lee said:

Don't listen to Joshua Prout here. Just his latest stolen identity.

Are you telling me I'm never getting my double-ended kickstart diesel dildo back!?

Thanked by 1jar
  • LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: Are you telling me I'm never getting my double-ended kickstart diesel dildo back!?

Getting it back is no problem, getting it out is a different matter.

• @jarland said:

It's a path to developing that relationship and showing your willingness to pay for the services. An established customer should have no such need.

That makes sense and can see DO's side. Luckily, when DO started I as a new customer spun up large droplets without needing such prepaid deposit. But if I did have to, it would put me off from using DO. So I can see it from the original posters side too as the attraction to cloud hosting is flexible low cost hourly billing. Doing business is hard - you have business side vs client requirements. Ultimately, the new customer has to decide if they want that long term relationship to continue/start.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2018

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

That makes sense and can see DO's side. Luckily, when DO started I as a new customer spun up large droplets without needing such prepaid deposit. But if I did have to, it would put me off from using DO. So I can see it from the original posters side too as the attraction to cloud hosting is flexible low cost hourly billing. Doing business is hard - you have business side vs client requirements. Ultimately, the new customer has to decide if they want that long term relationship to continue/start.

Understandable. To give you some context too, I've seen two or three times this year where someone scripted API creates and they stuck in a loop. There are other scenarios that correlate to other limits, but like that one there had droplet limits not existed those would be events you'd point to and say "they're not a reliable provider" because of what would happen as a result.

If ever a limit does not directly correlate to real world events that we've witnessed which would have or did severely damage the platform as a whole, that's a limit you won't see me defending in any capacity.

• WSSWSS Member

@needavps said:
    Insulting while giving a complement. Classic

Don't worry; I don't think you'll ever earn a complement, unless you get a vasectomy.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

lol. actually sounds like majority of "established customer" were quite a disappointment. Gotta have alot of good publicity to go with this new policy; pricing just changed which will certainly help. I gotta go with no with this new policy for new customers. Won't fly after some thought.

@needavps said:

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

lol. actually sounds like majority of "established customer" were quite a disappointment. Gotta have alot of good publicity to go with this new policy; pricing just changed which will certainly help. I gotta go with no with this new policy for new customers. Won't fly after some thought.

Rather than consider theory from an outside and theoretical perspective, you should give us a try and reach out if you have any issues :)

• @jarland said:

@needavps said:

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

Rather than consider theory from an outside and theoretical perspective, you should give us a try and reach out if you have any issues :)

NO. i only give out id for dedicated servers or datacenter requirements. Not for vps or hourly services. Won't work for me.

edited January 2018

@needavps said:

@jarland said:

@needavps said:

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

NO. i only give out id for dedicated servers or datacenter requirements. Not for vps or hourly services. Won't work for me.

Who said we were going to ask for your ID? Making a lot of assumptions there :)

• @jarland said:

@needavps said:

@jarland said:

@needavps said:

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

OP just said he deposited and gave iD and still got problems even though a $160 instance is quite a difference with $40 but he is right; didn't need to do this with amazon which is what I would have used for 8vcpu. :P

@needavps said:

@jarland said:

@needavps said:

@jarland said:

@needavps said:

@eva2000 said:

@jarland said:

OP just said he deposited and gave iD and still got problems even though a $160 instance is quite a difference with $40 but he is right; didn't need to do this with amazon which is what I would have used for 8vcpu. :P

Doesn't mean the variables stack up the same way. My understanding is adding a credit card should have resolved it anyway. I'm a bit confused why it didn't. Perhaps I missed an update from our T&S team. Regardless, happy to work with you to remove the limit without ID.

• I stopped using DO when they expired all my credits on my account. Figured at that point I'd rather have a bunch of penny servers off of LET than pay a premium to use services with a company that won't honour its original agreement.

• WSSWSS Member

@KermEd said:
    I stopped using DO when they expired all my credits on my account. Figured at that point I'd rather have a bunch of penny servers off of LET than pay a premium to use services with a company that won't honour its original agreement.

Maybe you should rent space on your videocards..

• @WSS said:

@KermEd said:
    I stopped using DO when they expired all my credits on my account. Figured at that point I'd rather have a bunch of penny servers off of LET than pay a premium to use services with a company that won't honour its original agreement.

Probably could! I'm gonna rename them to CryptoCards(tm) first XD

• WSSWSS Member

@KermEd said:

@WSS said:

@KermEd said:

Probably could! I'm gonna rename them to CryptoCards(tm) first XD

BitCryptoCard sounds like a great name. What'll we possibly shorten the name, to, though?

Thanked by 1Aidan
    edited January 2018

@KermEd said:

You're welcome to have those extended anytime, just wanted to know that you actually intended to use them. A relationship with someone who walked away one day and never came back isn't much of a relationship at all :(

I don't know about you, but I don't intend to die at 80 years old with the toothbrush of my ex-girlfriend from high school still waiting in the bathroom for her when she broke up with me a week before my 16th birthday :P

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@KermEd said:

You're welcome to have those extended anytime, just wanted to know that you actually intended to use them. A relationship with someone who walked away one day and never came back isn't much of a relationship at all :(

I don't know about you, but I don't intend to die at 80 years old with the toothbrush of my ex-girlfriend from high school still waiting in the bathroom for her when she broke up with me a week before my 16th birthday :P

Well, duh.. it's going to be shoved up your ass!