Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVH products?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVH products?

wokenwoll said: I work for OVH, whatever the brands. Just start a need topic and ping me, i'll be glad to discuss OVH portfolio too. By the way we are refreshing the storage range, start the topic and i'll present it to you !

Ok, here's the topic :). I'd love to hear about the new storage range. It would be great to have something competitive with Hetzner, both the StorageBox series and the SX server line.

Comments

• @wokenwoll another one nagging at ya

• wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

This config with 1x1TB+ HDD instead 240 SSD with same price.

• wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

I assume because it will be on KS it means not 250Mbps? Since people also would like IPs maybe bump the price to +-19€?

• WHTWHT Member

Ips brakes the deal. Better sys with 16 ips

• Here we go :) let's discuss

What about this kind of refresh for OVH ?

FS12-T :

• Same specs system
    • Same price
    • 1 disk more (For RAID 10 + IOPS)
    • 6TB disks instead of 4TB
    • unmetered BW (like today)

FS-30T :

• Less RAM (32 => 16)
    • Same price
    • 1 disk more (For RAID 5, RAID 10)
    • 8TB disks instead of 6TB

for StorageBox like hetzner, i've never checked deeply their offers. seems more like dropbox challenger right ? Can't find any info about storage technology behind, if you have some please share and we'll discuss. We have many other products at OVH

Thanked by 2ariq01 Setsura
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll said: Can't find any info about storage technology behind, if you have some please share and we'll discuss

Hetzner Storage boxes:
    https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Storage_Boxes/en

https://www.hetzner.com/storage-box/bx60?country=us

10TB storage with 20TB transfer @ 40 euros accessible with SFTP/Webdav/Borg /FTP

Your files on Storage Boxes are safeguarded with a RAID configuration which can withstand several drive failures. Therefore, there is a relatively small chance of data being lost

Would be keen in getting something like that in FRA/BHS.

Thanked by 1wokenwoll
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

wokenwoll said:

Definitely an improvement over the old versions, though mostly attractive as media servers due to the unlimited BW in my opinion. I'd like to see better cpu in the FS-12T though I can accept if you're trying to keep away coin miners. I think lots of users of these servers will want to transcode with them.

Are you sure that the FS-12T has ECC? I didn't realize that the Atom C2750 cpu supports ECC and it surprises me some.

If anyone cares, by my calculation the new FS-12T proposal is $4.67/TiB/mo (no raid) and the new FS-30T is $3.99 based on shown US price. The Hetzner counterparts cost somewhat less per TB and have much more CPU and ram, but have bandwidth limits and are only in Germany. I have several EU servers because of lower costs but would prefer NA which is closer to home.

Hetzner StorageBox is comparable to OVH backup plans but cost less and can be used (with bandwidth limits) to serve data over the internet. OVH plans are here:

https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/backup-ftp.xml

Thanked by 1wokenwoll
  • willie said: I didn't realize that the Atom C2750 cpu supports ECC

It does, according to Intel's docs.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll another OVH product I'd like to see is hourly bare-metal dedis in the public cloud, or at least single tenant. AWS has had single tenant for maybe a year and I think they may have bare metal now. Vultr just announced bare metal. Not sure about GCP. The endless stream of security failures in Javascript, in hypervisors, and more recently (meltdown/spectre) even in hardware shows that really securely sandboxing hostile code is likely forever doomed to failure. A high-security application simply can't run on the same machine as attacker code.

I know at least one financial service hosted in AWS that responded to Spectre with a press release telling its customers "it's ok, your money is still safe because we run on single-tenant instances--attackers can't exploit Spectre against us because they can't get on our machines in the first place". I don't think OVH is an AWS competitor for high-security apps til it offers this.

• @willie said:
    @wokenwoll another OVH product I'd like to see is hourly bare-metal dedis in the public cloud, or at least single tenant. AWS has had single tenant for maybe a year and I think they may have bare metal now. Vultr just announced bare metal. Not sure about GCP. The endless stream of security failures in Javascript, in hypervisors, and more recently (meltdown/spectre) even in hardware shows that really securely sandboxing hostile code is likely forever doomed to failure. A high-security application simply can't run on the same machine as attacker code.

I know at least one financial service hosted in AWS that responded to Spectre with a press release telling its customers "it's ok, your money is still safe because we run on single-tenant instances--attackers can't exploit Spectre against us because they can't get on our machines in the first place". I don't think OVH is an AWS competitor for high-security apps til it offers this.

hmmm, from my point of view we already offers single tenant cloud solutions, it's called OVH Private Cloud (DC= france, canada, poland, and soon US & UK).

You buy a bundle of minimum 2 hosts fully dedicated to you + 2 datastores + virtualisation licence. Then you'll have to do the VMs by yourself, which is totally different from our public Cloud Offer (multi tenant, and you buy VM directly, with guaranteed resources and unmetered BW). then you can add hosts (hourly or monthly).

For now Private Cloud is shipped with VMware licences but we have Azure Stack in labs ( https://labs.ovh.com/azure-stack ) and announced VMware ViO during our summit in october (kind of Openstack bridge over VMware)

Were you thinking about something like this ?

The other thing you can do, is to push you no-sensitive data on public cloud and sensitive data on dedicated servers. then you bridge them via Private network (vRack).

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

I do know about private cloud but it's stupendously expensive. I guess it's reasonable for those enterprise financial services customers, fair enough, thanks for mentioning it. But Vultr and I think AWS instances are available hourly as a regular cloud product.

Good point about combining dedis and public cloud. It would be great if you had something like KMS/Parameter Store. I think of setting something like that up on Scaleway just as an exercise, using my Scaleway C1 as the "secure" keystore. Of course it wouldn't really have more security than usual, so it would just be for experimental/testing purposes.

• @wokenwoll A discovery plan I can afford in Virginia. Been in BHS since its opening and was looking forward to the new DC, but $99/month for a machine is out of my price limits. Oh well, I can wish :)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Yes, the DE discovery plan (or whatever it was called) last year was amazing. The current US one is "oh well".

• @willie said:
    I do know about private cloud but it's stupendously expensive. I guess it's reasonable for those enterprise financial services customers, fair enough, thanks for mentioning it.

Not so expensive since you can use this infra for creating as much VMs as you can.
    Typical customers create +-10 VMs on the starting bundle (600e), i find it fair enough (used it before working for OVH).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    Yes, the DE discovery plan (or whatever it was called) last year was amazing. The current US one is "oh well".

Probably has something to do with how they plan to keep OVH LLC in the U.S. separate from the main European business. The deals in the other locations were mostly great, they probably have a different target on the U.S. branch. U.S. pays more, hardware is new, DDoS protection is there.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

wokenwoll said: Not so expensive

Well, it's two ancient Opteron dedis plus a bunch of software licenses. I admit I wasn't thinking from the enterprise viewpoint when calling it expensive. As a LET user I think mostly of the raw hardware, and it's much more expensive than just getting 2 dedis, using only FOSS software and self-administering everything (the LET approach which of course is a lot more work). In that sense it's more of a SaaS product.

(added):

6TB disks instead of 4TB [on FS-12T]

Thinking about this a little more, I'd support using 8TB or 10TB disks on everything and charging more as needed. Most of the cost of providing those servers is the server itself, plus the hosting and network, not the drives. But the user mostly sees the amount of drive space per $/€. If switching from 6TB disks to 8TB gives a 33% increase in drive space at a 10% increase in user cost, it is worth doing.

• JahAGRJahAGR Member
    edited January 2018

vanilla nuked my post because i put emoji in it. nevermind

basically, more storage servers please. FS-12T looking good

• @wokenwoll said:
    Here we go :) let's discuss

FS12-T :

• Same specs system
    • Same price
    • 1 disk more (For RAID 10 + IOPS)
    • 6TB disks instead of 4TB

FS-30T :

• Less RAM (32 => 16)
    • Same price
    • 1 disk more (For RAID 5, RAID 10)
    • 8TB disks instead of 6TB

So effectively these will become 24TB and 48TB respectively if I understand right? Sounds good if so, when can I buy it? :)

• WSSWSS Member

Interestingly timed bump.