Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning: ThrustVPS OpenVZ plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Warning: ThrustVPS OpenVZ plans

littleguylittleguy Member
edited February 2012 in General

Just a quick warning to anyone considering their OpenVZ plans - I/O is abysmal, nodes have constant interruptions where they don't respond for up to 5 minutes at a time, multiple times every day. Reboots from SolusVM sometimes glitch the VM and makes it unresponsive for up to an hour.

Support doesn't seem to care about the performance.

I will say that I have also been using their XEN offering and it is much, much better - unfortunately it's been sold out for months, but their OpenVZ plans are no replacement.

Comments

• @littleguy said: Support doesn't seem to care about the performance.

can you give us explanation regarding this

• I used them around a year ago, pretty much the same experience back then too even with Rus around.

• @jamson said: I used them around a year ago, pretty much the same experience back then too even with Rus around.

Like the "new" alienvps or the "new" 123systems...

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

@yowmamasita said: can you give us explanation regarding this

I got this reply to my ticket:

Our nodes are shred with around 60-80 Clients each so you can find at times that IO will vary.

Here is an example bench;
    [root@vps3 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=64k count=512 oflag=dsync ... 33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 64.3015 s, 522 kB/s

As an example, here is the same test on an Edis.at KVM plan:
    33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 1.3986 s, 24.0 MB/s

• Man, run, run far away :|

• Guess I'm on the good thrust node. :) Never had many problems with it. The occasional downtime, but generally very good stability and decent speed.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=64k count=512 oflag=dsync 512+0 records in 512+0 records out 33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.277468 s, 121 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=64k count=512 oflag=dsync 512+0 records in 512+0 records out 33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.356194 s, 94.2 MB/s

• @Gary, 2 things

• Writing a 34MB file probably doesn't show accurately the results.
    • And maybe is ok now, but if you get issues, I wonder what you will receive as "answer".
  • @Gary said: Guess I'm on the good thrust node. :)

Untill it fills up, I had good performance too for the first week.

The previous tests in this thread are a couple of weeks old, I abandoned the VPS after that since it's unusable, but I just performed a new test (still have a couple of days left on my period):
    [root@vps3 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=64k count=512 oflag=dsync 512+0 records in 512+0 records out 33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 102.611 s, 327 kB/s

I don't even know what to say, abysmal doesn't do justice to how crap their service is.

• Run "dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync", that's pretty much the standard, and dsync will give much different results.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

@Kairus said: Run "dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync", that's pretty much the standard, and dsync will give much different results.

[root@vps3 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 139.589s 7.7 MB/s

When you take in consideration the different cache settings, this is still awful. For comparison I am getting 104MB/s on Edis.

• Is a shame haha.

Run away! As I said :P

• @littleguy said: Untill it fills up, I had good performance too for the first week.

Been on that node for over a year.

@yomero said: Writing a 34MB file probably doesn't show accurately the results.

And maybe is ok now, but if you get issues, I wonder what you will receive as "answer".

I was just responding to littleguy's bench with an identical commandline. Agreed, support could be snappier, but I've been satisfied with the service so far.

Here's a better bench:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 21.8453 s, 49.2 MB/s