Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: Location to Temporarily Access Fast Internet Connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question: Location to Temporarily Access Fast Internet Connection

cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
edited January 2018 in Help

In the US, what kinds of places (such as a university) would possibly allow or routinely allow temporarily using an internet connection? A place that isn't Starbucks / Cafe, and the internet must be fast.

There has to be somewhere close to every major city that would let one pay them to use a gigabit connection or something, right? The time period for this is less than a day to use their connection to upload a lot of data.

Comments

• McDonalds.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018
  • @Aidan

McDs around here only has 5mbit/s despite fibre being available nationwide

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Go into the city courthouse and find an ethernet port..

If it is a big city, some fast food places actually have good internet. Where are you roughly?

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited January 2018

5-star hotel.

Or maybe the public library?

• Dunno. MIT must have some crap security if Swartz managed to tap into the servers.

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

Dunno. MIT must have some crap security if Swartz managed to tap into the servers.

Cameras tho

• @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

Dunno. MIT must have some crap security if Swartz managed to tap into the servers.

Cameras tho

If he wore a mask, he would've put the MIT to shame. Having said that, his manifesto wasn't too helpful in proving himself innocent.

• The Library and the courthouse (library) are two that come to mind. Not sure on speed.

• Uni is your best bet I guess. Speedtest at ours yields 500/500

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

cirrus_cloud said: The time period for this is less than a day to use their connection to upload a lot of data.

That's pretty vague, do you mean 10 hours of maxing out the connection or 45 minutes to upload 20GB?

One could have potential impact on the people letting you do this the other probably not, best bet is to find some local large office blocks/industrial estates, check what sort of connections are available in the area and then call around and offer to pay for the time once p/month.

Anything that is free is going to be restricted one some way, anything that is not you will probably have to submit to some checks and pay a nominal amount, companies with big bandwidth are not just going to let some rando connect to their network.

depends on where you live but maybe a small private DC, IT company or telco will be able to make a deal with you, but unless you are lucky enough to find a badly configured ap somewhere this is not the sort of thing that comes free.

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

Cameras tho

If he wore a mask, he would've put the MIT to shame. Having said that, his manifesto wasn't too helpful in proving himself innocent.

I think it was actually fingerprints that dubbed him in.. but I was just going for a rather dark joke.

• Do you have an Apple store nearby? They're always good for some fast WiFi :)

• cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

cirrus_cloud said: The time period for this is less than a day to use their connection to upload a lot of data.

That's pretty vague, do you mean 10 hours of maxing out the connection or 45 minutes to upload 20GB?

One could have potential impact on the people letting you do this the other probably not, best bet is to find some local large office blocks/industrial estates, check what sort of connections are available in the area and then call around and offer to pay for the time once p/month.

Anything that is free is going to be restricted one some way, anything that is not you will probably have to submit to some checks and pay a nominal amount, companies with big bandwidth are not just going to let some rando connect to their network.

depends on where you live but maybe a small private DC, IT company or telco will be able to make a deal with you, but unless you are lucky enough to find a badly configured ap somewhere this is not the sort of thing that comes free.

~200 GB of a database to move it to the cloud. The idea is that it would be nice to get it there faster, and the connection available isn't very good.

Columbus, OH area in case that matters.

But yeah, the idea wasn't to get something free. But I can't imagine 200 GB of bandwidth is something that would cost a whole lot.

• WSSWSS Member

@dahartigan said:
    Do you have an Apple store nearby? They're always good for some fast WiFi :)

That's because there are no gamers.

• So it turns out this isn't needed anymore, but it would be interesting to find out if there were datacenters that would let you stop by and hog some resources for a bit for a fee.

• cirrus_cloud said: if there were datacenters that would let you stop by and hog some resources for a bit for a fee.

No.

• Your friendly neighborhood hackerspace might be a good place to ask about something like this. (The one in my neck of the woods has a high-bandwidth infrared laser uplink on the roof!)

Chances are they'll appreciate your interest and financial contribution as well.

Here's what I was able to find for Columbus Ohio via https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Columbus_Idea_Foundry -> https://ideafoundry.com/

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited January 2018

@cirrus_cloud said:
    So it turns out this isn't needed anymore, but it would be interesting to find out if there were datacenters that would let you stop by and hog some resources for a bit for a fee.

no

• cirrus_cloud said: So it turns out this isn't needed anymore, but it would be interesting to find out if there were datacenters that would let you stop by and hog some resources for a bit for a fee.

If they offer colo and physical access, then you could effectively do this by coloing a server and swapping out the disk when you want to push some data.

• @Detruire said:

cirrus_cloud said: So it turns out this isn't needed anymore, but it would be interesting to find out if there were datacenters that would let you stop by and hog some resources for a bit for a fee.

If they offer colo and physical access, then you could effectively do this by coloing a server and swapping out the disk when you want to push some data.

This would work. Now I am wondering what I was thinking when I read his comment.