Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unbranded mxroute - How to rebrand - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unbranded mxroute - How to rebrand

2»

Comments

• Also, a friendly reminder that I'm still waiting for DNSSEC on my mxroute server.

• @depricated said:
    Also, a friendly reminder that I'm still waiting for DNSSEC on my mxroute server.

What for? Just use other dns services like Cloudflare :0

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@depricated said:
    Also, a friendly reminder that I'm still waiting for DNSSEC on my mxroute server.

I recommend moving DNS hosting away from mxroute. It's too much overhead, I won't be making any effort to continue it, but what is up and running today isn't being taken down.

• @trewq said:

@sureiam said:
    I would additionally recommend this only be done on a setup that allows for dynamic DNS. Otherwise a changed IP on mxroute could easily result in a broken setup. If you run your own DNS you could have it track the mxroute server and update the A DNS entry if the mxroute servers IP ever changed.

That's exactly what CNAME records are for.

depends on the scope of white labeling. cname will show the actual domain it's being sent to. doing a dynamic A record does not. Of course this will require more leg work to get up and running.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@sureiam said:

@trewq said:

@sureiam said:
    I would additionally recommend this only be done on a setup that allows for dynamic DNS. Otherwise a changed IP on mxroute could easily result in a broken setup. If you run your own DNS you could have it track the mxroute server and update the A DNS entry if the mxroute servers IP ever changed.

depends on the scope of white labeling. cname will show the actual domain it's being sent to. doing a dynamic A record does not. Of course this will require more leg work to get up and running.

Very true. Sorry, forgot we were talking about white labeling when I posted that... Was just thinking from a technical perspective.

• @trewq said:

@sureiam said:

@trewq said:

@sureiam said:

Very true. Sorry, forgot we were talking about white labeling when I posted that...

No problem. In all fairness cname is immensely easier than scripting a cross reference check of an IP to a domain and updating a dynamic A entry if it changes. Not to mention running that on a VPS every x minutes. So i can definitely see why that's the recommended option.

Thanked by 1trewq