Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DELL F1D 2X5140 compared to Xeon e3-1231 v5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DELL F1D 2X5140 compared to Xeon e3-1231 v5

I am interested in buying the DELL F1D 2X5140 16GB 4X146GB SAS RTO off of dacentec for 30$/month and I was wondering how it may perform.
Can't really find much info about the cpu.
Do you guys have any infos?

Comments

• $30 a month RTO will be nothing compared to that E3 Xeon you have noted in the title.

Thanked by 1chiezyy
  • WSSWSS Member

That box isn't even 3k passmarks, vs nearly 10k passmarks. It's going to be a third slower - at best. Plus, you're going to end up with less than 300GB SAS if you RAID5 it.

If you want storage, it'll be fine. If you want something to power a busy site/transcode/etc, go for the E3.

Thanked by 1chiezyy
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

The 5140 CPU is almost 12 years old. Something else to keep in mind is that things like fans, power supplies, hard drives, etc. are going to be really, really old.

• If RTO is interesting to you, check eBay and cut out the middle man with old servers.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Don't buy RTO, you'll have to pay colo cost anyways after your RTO term is up. If you are in a country with PayPal, just buy a server off eBay and use PayPal credit to pay it off over 6-12 months. Some credit cards (at least in the U.S.) now also let you pay off large purchases over 3-12 months with no interest.

You can almost always find a comparable server or better for the same price or cheaper on eBay in the U.S.

• I'd rather volunteer to get teeth pulled than try to get a server out of Dacentec again.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @doughmanes said:
    I'd rather volunteer to get teeth pulled than try to get a server out of Dacentec again.

I think you should chop your hand~ :) 剁手吧~

• @doughmanes said:

I'd rather volunteer to get teeth pulled than try to get a server out of Dacentec again.

Lma0

Well, thanks guys. I'll stay away from that offer :)

• @chiezyy said:
    @doughmanes said:

Lma0

Well, thanks guys. I'll stay away from that offer :)

gorillaservers $35/mo E31230V1 8GRAM 2TSATA,I feel very good, I intend to rent one recently.

• Stop quote abuse, no need to tag me in such irrelevant comments