Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or server recommendation for plex server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or server recommendation for plex server

marsonmarson Member
edited January 2018 in Requests

Hello

I would like to start using plex server, it will be just for me and 2 or 3 friends, I just bought
Core i3-530 4 GB DDR3 2× 1 TB (HDD SATA) 1 Gbps Unmetered Fair Usage
it is from oneprovider

will it be enough for that? Or you can recommend something better or cheaper? I don't know anything about plex, I never used it before, I only know that at the beginning 100 GB or even less will be sufficient for media storage.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Haven't you read the multitude of plex threads we've had? It depends on what you're doing and how much transcoding is required. That should do a few streams just fine.

Personally, I'd fine One Other Provider, because they're bloody awful.

• If your ISP has good peering with OneProvider (Online.net) and not need any transcoding, the server it self was not bad.

• 2018 and still Plex server posts?

• I read some thread but... I don't understand it so well, as I said I plan to use it myself and 2 or 3 others. I have 40 Mbps download and 10 Mbps up . My friends have about 10 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. and on the server I will use mainly MKV at 720p and 1080p. I don't need 4k materials, I am sure that there will be no more than 2 streams simultaneously.. So I really don't know how much resources do I need

• If you bought the server, the best way to see how much resource you need is to test in real conditions :)

• WSSWSS Member

That should be fine. Hell, a KS-1 would do fine if it didn't need to transcode.

• The machine should be fine - your - or more likely your friends - network might need some tweaking if you have uploads interfering with your streaming.

https://sourceforge.net/p/adsl-optimizer/wiki/Home/

• I have a dedi from Oneprovider with a Atom C2750. I set up Plex on it yesterday just to see how well it works and ran a 1080P/12mbps video last night and it worked perfectly. I live in Los Angeles and the server is in Paris. The Core i3-530 is slower than the C2750, but should be fine with a single or maybe two transcoding streams. Your friends with 10Mbps down might have issues though if that speed is their max.

People bag on Oneprovider, but I have had zero issues. From order to getting it live was less than three hours and it has had zero issues for a month.

• You are serving mostly on progressive download, so won't have much issue for 2-3 users . Also you could still do slight transcoding on i3.

You can do simple test like uploading 10MB file or 100 MB file with each of your fri for download and upload since your locations may varies. If you 3 could schedule ur upload, that gonna have smooth streaming all the time.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2018

A quick google will provide an answer to this; the hardware requirements page is easily found, as is a passmark for your CPU.

I doubt anyone is selling a server with less than a 100Mb connection, which should be sufficient for just about any small-medium usage Plex server.

• Thanks for the answers... well I thought that i3 will be faster than any atom, but... if not, I will consider to change it to C2750 next month, RAID is also not so important here.

• Too many factors to consider, I am going to just say "yes" and you can tell us how it went.

• I will tell you how it works when I receive my server

Thanked by 1Nekki