Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange cpanel issue - if using www in front, I get the default server page.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange cpanel issue - if using www in front, I get the default server page.

I'm pretty new with WHM/Cpanel - I have control on a server with around 200 sites.
This time I have issues on one of the sites.

The main domain is working fine - let us call it domain1.com, we have used default settings on the Cpanel account/plan like all the others.
In the DNS settings, we are using www as CNAME. On the domain we host at a registrar we have updated dns settings, and using www as CNAME there also.

But the site is not accepting www at all. And of course, the webdesigner of the site has hardcoded some www links.

We then tried to change DNS settings both on the Cpanel server and on the domain from CNAME to A record, pointing www A record to the server IP.
Then we just get the default server page.

We also tried to add www2 as CNAME and www3 as A record, updating both DNS (BIND) on Cpanel and on the domain. With the same result, that we just get the default server page.

But if I create www2 as a subdomain in Cpanel, pointing it to the public_html root, it work right away.
Of course, Cpanel don't allow me to create www as a subdomain.

What is wrong? And how can I solve it? Just tried on another domain on the same server, and the same happens there, so it has to be a Cpanel issue? Or a CentOS issue?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm assuming base config for the account is fine and normal, in which case try:

/scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    /scripts/restartsrv_httpd

• @myhken said:
    In the DNS settings, we are using www as CNAME. On the domain we host at a registrar we have updated dns settings, and using www as CNAME there also.

I'm not sure what you mean about "on the Cpanel server and on the domain".
    I think you should start defining where you have to update your settings. Easiest thing could be to point the domain NS records to your cPanel DNS servers.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • imok said: Easiest thing could be to point the domain NS records to your cPanel DNS servers.

Of course, DNS settings is only done on the domain registrar. We do not want to use the Cpanel DNS server. So it was just a desperate try.

But I think I have done a wrong approach. My issue is most likely not on the server, but the webpage it's self. I think I create a new thread, since I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with cpanel. But the customer blame us, but I think the design is bad, and that is not us.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

myhken said: My issue is most likely not on the server, but the webpage it's self

This may be true IF the "default page" does not refer to the default cPanel page, like this: https://www.panthur.com.au/img/kbase/cPanel_default_error.png

Because if you are seeing that, it is highly unlikely the issue is with the webpage itself (unless it is performing some kind of redirect).

Take my word with a grain of salt, I don't do shared web hosting anymore :)

Thanked by 2myhken Junkless
  • myhken said: Just tried on another domain on the same server, and the same happens there, so it has to be a Cpanel issue?

myhken said: But I think I have done a wrong approach. My issue is most likely not on the server, but the webpage it's self. I think I create a new thread, since I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with cpanel. But the customer blame us, but I think the design is bad, and that is not us.

Most likely not related to application

Thanked by 1myhken
  • RizRiz Member

It's completely possible you're caching somewhere so YMMV. Run it through curl and review the headers.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Try to restart apache once. Hope it'll work!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • If all you good folks can take a look at this thread, most likely it is not a server issue, but don't want to close this thread before I know.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/135175/can-someone-help-we-to-find-what-is-wrong-on-this-site-webdesing-or-server-issue