Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net sata disk speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net sata disk speed

tvpottitvpotti Member
edited January 2018 in General

got one of these servers when it was on sale, LT DEALS 1701.1 came with 2 x 2TB drives.

when testing the drive speed after fresh install using dd it was only giving 80-90MB so I opened a ticket assuming these are SATAII disks and can push up to 6GB, reasonably over 2gb due to age. here is what their reply after testing in rescue mode

Hello, We have tested the writing speed of your disks. Our results are similar to yours 67108864 bytes (67 MB) copied, 0,813806 s, 82,5 MB/s But it is quite usual having this performance for SATA disks. There is no material issue in this case but it is simply their natural speed.

thinking to drop the server? what do you guys recommend!

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

That's about 10% of SATA-3 peak capabilities. Unless there are really, really shitty drivers, bad cables, or dying HDs, I'd be a little curious if you're the only one using it- unless, of course, you're using it for sharing ISOs.

What's your drive specs? What's the setup?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2018

To better answer your question about drive speed you would have to provide information about which drives you actually have installed. If they are cheaper 5400RPM drivers or non-enterprise class the speed you are seeing looks about right. It could also be a hardware limitation, what CPU/motherboard is in your server? You may be hitting its fullest potential if its a slower CPU.

Anyways, to better recommend a course of action we will need additional information about the server/drives first.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• tvpotti said: when testing the drive speed after fresh install using dd it was only giving 80-90MB so I opened a ticket assuming these are SATAII disks and can push up to 6GB, reasonably over 2gb due to age. here is what their reply after testing in rescue mode

Are you confusing SATA interface speed with actual reality of SATA non-flash disk speeds ? non-flash SATA disks are no way going to hit SATA I/II/III interface max theoretical speeds of 1.5Gb/s (150MB/s), 3Gb/s (300MB/s) or 6Gb/s (600MB/s) respectively.

Best to look up SATA disk brand and model number and check the rated specs for the drives

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Ei ollu puuhöylä..

• Newbies with Servers.... just omg....

• People have to start somewhere. Don't be a judgmental prick.

• here are the specs, its fresh install nothing running on it. online support themselves put in rescue mode and ran the test

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz

TOSHIBA MG03ACA200 looks like SATA3 6GBPS

hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number: TOSHIBA MG03ACA200
    Serial Number: 55H7K6KXF
    Firmware Revision: FL1D
    Transport: Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
    Standards:
    Supported: 8 7 6 5
    Likely used: 8
    Configuration:
    Logical max current
    cylinders 16383 16383
    heads 16 16
    sectors/track 63 63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
    LBA user addressable sectors: 268435455
    LBA48 user addressable sectors: 3907029168
    Logical Sector size: 512 bytes
    Physical Sector size: 512 bytes
    device size with M = 10241024: 1907729 MBytes
    device size with M = 1000
    1000: 2000398 MBytes (2000 GB)
    cache/buffer size = unknown
    Form Factor: 3.5 inch
    Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 7200

I just want to know if online.net support saying the correct answer as they don't want to acknowledge there is issue with disk speed

• WSSWSS Member

That's a 9k passmark CPU and although SATA3 capable, that disk has an abysmal 64MB cache. I still don't see a reason for it to be that slow, personally. There was a firmware update for it, but only from Dell, and it's an entirely different firmware revision, so I wouldn't try cross-flashing it.

• "For this kind of server, it is a normal speed. " this is their final answer, i guess i have two choice live with or cancel and move on.

thanks for everyone's input

• LeeLee Veteran

tvpotti said: i have two choice live with or cancel and move on.

Yes indeed, nothing will make them do anything more.