Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linus Torvalds - How rich is he? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linus Torvalds - How rich is he?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jetchirag said: "Has anyone ever won an argument with Linus Torvalds?"

Yes. His wife.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

what if Linus Torvalds would join Lowendtalk ?

what would Linus Torvalds looks like after 50 years ?

• WSSWSS Member

@hostdare said:
    what if Linus Torvalds would join Lowendtalk ?

There's slumming, then there's slumming.

• @raindog308 said:

Yes. His wife.

That's exactly what was on my mind. No one has ever won that argument.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • @raindog308 said:

Yes. His wife.

Vaguely recall she's a judoka or some similar martial arts background. Too busy to google verify/

• Rich in the sense he can leave this world knowing he made it a better place :)

Thanked by 2farsighter v3ng

ricardo said: Rich in the sense he can leave this world knowing he made it a better place :)

For git.

For Linux...I dunno if Linux really made the world a better place. It was a reimplementation which happened alongside another reimplementation. For irrelevant reasons, Linux beat BSD to market, but if Linus has never been born, BSD would have done the exact same thing and filled exactly the same role, and with arguably a better license.

If you're one kind of FOSS license bigot, you could argue that Linus made the world a worse place by putting the most notable free operating system under a more restrictive license than it would otherwise be...though of course, GPL bigots on the other side could argue exactly the same in the other direction :-)

Thanked by 1Blazing
  • WSSWSS Member

At least he kept it GPL2, rather than going to GPL3. Still, have you tried TrueOS? It's a pretty damn usable FreeBSD distrib with ZFS-on-root.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Free as in speech, not as in beer.

• I couldn't find Linus in Wealth-X, Wealth Engine or Relationship Science. Other than 1 lame source, there never proper investigation conducted.

So I'm going to conclude that he's not that rich.

• So I'm going to conclude that he's not that rich.

Yeah, poor guy only has a couple of million.

Thanked by 1adly
  • I suspect (absolutely certain) Linus views himself in the same vein as Tim Berners-Lee.
    Your comments below if made during a Q&A (or any time) would elicit more than a middle finger or FU.

@raindog308 said:

ricardo said: Rich in the sense he can leave this world knowing he made it a better place :)

For Linux...I dunno if Linux really made the world a better place. It was a reimplementation which happened alongside another reimplementation. For irrelevant reasons, Linux beat BSD to market, but if Linus has never been born, BSD would have done the exact same thing and filled exactly the same role, and with arguably a better license.

If you're one kind of FOSS license bigot, you could argue that Linus made the world a worse place by putting the most notable free operating system under a more restrictive license than it would otherwise be...though of course, GPL bigots on the other side could argue exactly the same in the other direction :-)

• WSSWSS Member

@Blazing said:
    I suspect (absolutely certain) Linus views himself in the same vein as Tim Berners-Lee.
    Your comments below if made during a Q&A (or any time) would elicit more than a middle finger or FU.

Amazing how both of these guys, who, while in the midst of studies, created things that forever ruined the internet.

• What you're referring to as Linus, is GNU/Linus.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I simply cannot imagine that Stallman smells good.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@Amitz said:
    I simply cannot imagine that Stallman smells good.

You haven't seen that video where he's picking dead skin off his feet and eating it, then?

Thanked by 1Darwin

Amitz said: I simply cannot imagine that Stallman smells good.

I read Free as in Freedom and various other things over the years. If you set the GPL/FSF to the side, he's as classic a hacker as it gets. You could rid A Portrait of J. Random Hacker and tick off every box for him.

He has definite technical preferences bordering on the religious. He has hobbies unrelated to IT that his is deeply passionate about - linguistics, dance, folk music. He's quiet around muggles but is social and funny around people on the same wavelength (geeks and hackers). His personal ethos is extreme tolerance of all lifestyles and beliefs, which is common in IT. He finds topics, gets interested, and then pours enormous energy into mastering them, even if they don't lead to specific goals or financial rewards, just out of powerful curiosity.

That paragraph sounds like many of us. It sure sounds like me, though I'm a bit more mainstream...but then, everyone is a bit more mainstream than rms.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:
    That paragraph sounds like many of us. It sure sounds like me, though I'm a bit more mainstream...but then, everyone is a bit more mainstream than rms.

I'm going to have to deduct 6 geek points from you by claiming to be mainstream (even in relation to RMS), and failing to mention your IQ, INTJ/INTP testing and Aspergers Spectrum to excuse your lack of awareness of social nuances.

• WSS said: You haven't seen that video where he's picking dead skin off his feet and eating it, then?

Yeah, I saw that. But, well. It's surely disgusting, but I saw worse things on the net.

raindog308 said: He has definite technical preferences bordering on the religious. He has hobbies unrelated to IT that his is deeply passionate about - linguistics, dance, folk music. He's quiet around muggles but is social and funny around people on the same wavelength (geeks and hackers). His personal ethos is extreme tolerance of all lifestyles and beliefs, which is common in IT. He finds topics, gets interested, and then pours enormous energy into mastering them, even if they don't lead to specific goals or financial rewards, just out of powerful curiosity.

TLDR: A great guy within peers who does probably not smell good.

• Favorite shitpost of the year so far