Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to auto assign IP to Guest VM [KVM]?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to auto assign IP to Guest VM [KVM]?

tommy1412tommy1412 Member
edited September 2013 in Help

Hi all,

Currently when I create a new VM, it obtains a private LAN IP and not able to connect to Internet unless I have to manually add my static IP then it's working fine.

Let's say I have 13 usable IPs, and I want one of them is auto assigned when I create new Windows 7 or Win Server 2008 VM on my dedicated server, how can I configure my network bridge to do so?

I'm running CentOS 6 64bit.

Thanks all

Comments

• DHCP?

• tommy1412tommy1412 Member
    edited September 2013

Yes, I think this only can be done with DHCP, but I cannot configure my own IP range and seems VM's obtain IP from default libvirt's DHCP server, can you suggest?

• I've found a way to do this is creates a virtual network with my own IP range, and routed to eth0 network-interface, then I create a new VM and it was auto assigned IP from my range, but no Internet connection, can't ping host IP, too :-(

Can anyone help me figure it out?

• Problem solved, mod please close this topic.
    Thanks

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It would be good to share your solution, so others that have similar problem know what they should do

• tommy1412tommy1412 Member
    edited September 2013

@Alex_LiquidHost said:
    It would be good to share your solution, so others that have similar problem know what they should do

Sorry, just thought no one cares about this.

Btw, my solution was to install a new DHCP server, then I don't need to create a virtual network anymore, just choose bridge network interface when create new VM's.

I used DHCP-4.1.1 for my CentOS 6, here some commands that may helps:

$ yum install dhcp

-Configure DHCP

$ cat /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

-Configure listening Interface to DHCP

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd

$ chkconfig dhcpd on
    $ service dhcpd start