Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Need Helps] Slow network performance on Windows VMs - Hyper-V/Intel NIC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Need Helps] Slow network performance on Windows VMs - Hyper-V/Intel NIC

feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
edited January 2018 in General

Hi,
Currently had the slow network issue on VMs, the host network is dang fast (800Mbps). But it is slow on VMs?? (50Mbps)

Mainboard: SuperMicro X10SLM-F

BIOS last update: 2013 (don't know if this info is needed?)

Using Intel I210 on NIC

Tried:

• Disabled TCPv4 Offload, Large send Offload IPv4 on physical NIC

• Reinstalled OS, VMs

• Update latest Driver

Any suggestion is appreciated :( So stuck at this point. Tried everything on the internet.

Comments

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited January 2018

The interesting question - How long did it take to try everything on the internet?
    The serious question - How do you know its not the host network? (What steps did you do to eliminate that option?). I have had this issue with a few hosts, and when I called it out to them, they double check and sometimes they validated they had some network issues.

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@cheapwebdev said:
    The interesting question - How long did it take to try everything on the internet?
    The serious question - How do you know its not the host network? (What steps did you do to eliminate that option?). I have had this issue with a few hosts, and when I called it out to them, they double check and sometimes they validated they had some network issues.

Last time I checked with the host network running the same test tool (Speedtest.net) Both download and upload is 800Mbps+. So I think it shouldn't be a problem from the host network (??)

Also I just see a weird problem that Upload speed on VMs could get as high as 500 Mbps, but download still the same? (< 50Mbps )

• @feezioxiii said:
    Last time I checked with the host network running the same test tool (Speedtest.net) Both download and upload is 800Mbps+. So I think it shouldn't be a problem from the host network (??)

Also I just see a weird problem that Upload speed on VMs could get as high as 500 Mbps, but download still the same? (< 50Mbps )

Did you test the download before setting up the VMs? Also did you read the terms of your contract? Are you limited to fair use amongst other servers?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You have not told us how you have anything set up for the guest, guest drivers etc, my guess would be you have the guest badly configured and have a big emulation overhead.

Thanked by 1WSS

@cheapwebdev said:

@feezioxiii said:

Did you test the download before setting up the VMs? Also did you read the terms of your contract? Are you limited to fair use amongst other servers?

Sorry for late response, I only deployed 1 VMs yet on my server. and no limits on network usages. Still the host downloads has been great. Currently had problem on 2 of my servers with Virmarch. Located on NY, Colocrossing.

@AnthonySmith said:
    You have not told us how you have anything set up for the guest, guest drivers etc, my guess would be you have the guest badly configured and have a big emulation overhead.

Clean installed with Hyper-V driver installed on guess. Nothing more installed :(

I just saw my server download speed only got <120Mbps now (??) Maybe the un-stable networks caused issues, saw problems with Colocrossing NY location before. Currently contacted Virmach.

Sounds like you need to apply logic, consider everything and get some fact-based evidence built up and take that to your host.

As you don't want to share any technical details I doubt anyone is going to be able to help you here.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Sounds like you need to apply logic, consider everything and get some fact-based evidence built up and take that to your host.

As you don't want to share any technical details I doubt anyone is going to be able to help you here.

Which technical details should I share? ...

By the way, I will hear from Virmach first, let see if the problem exist after their checking my networks.

Thanks @AnthonySmith!

well, no offense, but if you think what you have shared counts as valid troubleshooting I think it may be a step too far for you, this is not a press or click a button problem.

basic network troubleshooting results would be a start.

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    well, no offense, but if you think what you have shared counts as valid troubleshooting I think it may be a step too far for you, this is not a press or click a button problem.

+1

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2018

How old's this Hyper-V setup?

What version of Windows is the host?

What generation are the VMs?

What's the guest OS?

Are you using the default virtual switch with NAT, or did you create a external virtual switch bridged to the adapter?

@Damian said:
    How old's this Hyper-V setup?

What version of Windows is the host?

Are you using the default virtual switch with NAT, or did you create a external virtual switch bridged to the adapter?

Yeap, currently using External Virtual Switch with "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" on

Is it a problem? bc I used it on Hetzner Servers and everything is ok!

Guess OS is Windows 2012 R2 ( Host as well) Running on Generation 1.

@AnthonySmith said:

Yea, I will see if it's host network problem!