Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many WP Multisite in a single VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many WP Multisite in a single VPS?

Anyone have stats on how many WP production sites have they fitted in on a 8GB-16GB VPS, or at least a general idea on how many?

I'm thinking of moving to a BuyVM/Linode/Vultr type of VPS, from a Dedicated Server setup with WP sites that thrives on a shared-hosting type of limits (max 512mb physical ram, ~1 core per site). They have fairly low traffic of <500k hits a month, from the biggest site. I wouldn't put them all in one place, of course.

I find that WP hits I/O more than CPU and RAM, but nothing probably exceeds 5MB/s.

The reason is I'm a bit tired of hardware faults :/ So having the provider deal with it is better for me.

Comments

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

Without profiling your existing systems it would be nearly impossible to say how well the sites would perform on a new system. You can take a look at existing resource utilization (ram, disk, etc) and try to make an estimation. Wordpress is a dynamic platform that is heavily dependent on plugins, content, caching strategies, etc. You could fit a million Wordpress site on a 512MB VPS if you had everything in a cache tier and Wordpress was never rendering pages, or you could fit one Wordpress site on a 1TB ram VPS that is dynamic, custom per user and generating data in realtime.

I would generally suggest that if you are concerned about availability, you not move from one single point of failure to another. Setup a HA solution with two hosts, MySQL and file replication, and DNS failover.

• cpsdcpsd Member
    edited January 2018

Isn't it better a reseller account from a LET shared hosting provider who will deal with those CPU/RAM/IO problems? Your only request will be disk size.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • huntercophuntercop Member
    edited January 2018

I could probably host a thousand sites on 2gb ram. I have had dozens (with an "s" at the end) on a 128mb VPS before. I will leave the rest of the math to you. Keep in mind if you are using a VPS, you are expected to not use the resources most of the time (I would say staying around 45% max is accepted by good hosts, bursting past 50% should be rare). It is like insurance, it is a shared pool and they have oversold the server.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    you are expected to not use the resources most of the time (I would say staying around 45% max is accepted by good hosts...

How you monitor it?

I have the same question, really curious to look into that.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited January 2018

Quite a few? Difficult to say.

Do you have a crap load of hungry plugins? Do you cache properly? Are they sites with communities that actually post stuff frequently (invalidating the cache)?

What resources are you currently using with your dedicated server?

sanmax88 said: The reason is I'm a bit tired of hardware faults :/ So having the provider deal with it is better for me.

In that case, you're going in the right direction although VPS aren't created equally. If it's mission critical stuff, it may be worth going with a provider with a HA setup in some form, and then having incredibly frequent off-site backups so if things go completely balls up you can change a couple DNS records and be up and running again by the time you've finished your coffee.

^ EDIT: Yeah basically what @IonSwitch_Stan said.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited January 2018

only 500k hits a month? with 8gb-16gb? At least a few thousand.
    You can actually do this with shared hosting but it's always half as fast from my personal experience.

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited January 2018

working as a developer in an AU branding digital agency, we are hosting our site on a reseller plan from Panthur (Ultimate). The server spec if twice as yours, but this might give you insight:

Servers
    Latest enterprise-grade servers
    Dual CPUs, 24+ cores. Min. 32GB RAM
    RAID Intel solid state drives (SSD)
    Redundant dual power supplies

We have 90+ cPanel production accounts/wordpress site there (13 are multisite). Websites run smoothly without any problem.

Even with our staging server that is hosting 200+ accounts with the same plan.

Yet we are not even using Nginx.

(P.S. Stay away from Panthur for now, their support has becoming bad these days.)

• @dergelbe said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    you are expected to not use the resources most of the time (I would say staying around 45% max is accepted by good hosts...

How you monitor it?

I have the same question, really curious to look into that.

SolusVM shows me. You can also run commands (google it, I never remember) to check how much ram is there, and initiate an email to notify you (using php mailer) to let you know when you exceed a certain threshold.

• No.