Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to sell VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to sell VPS?

Hello all,

I currently sell shared hosting, domains and SSL. I am looking to sell VPS to target those who need more with root access. I am not sure which way to do this. I was looking into dedi servers or vps reseller, but can't find too many hosts who do this.

Also, I got a dell poweredge 2950 for free and I was thinking if I could use this to host.

My budget is about $60/month currently but trying to be cost-effective as I don't have many clients.

Thanks

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2018

@Hostbunk

VPS Resellers: Poor integration with billing

Dedicated servers: It seems that you lack the knowledge to run a node. This option is discouraged.

Colo: The server you have is pretty much unusable for hosting virtual servers.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

check OVH & SoYouStart.

Get 1 server from any of them and start posting in here with offers . Good Luck.

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    @Hostbunk

VPS Resellers: Poor integration with billing

Dedicated servers: It seems that you lack the knowledge to run a node. This option is discouraged.

Colo: The server you have is pretty much unusable for hosting virtual servers.

I could probably run dedi servers, but what do you suggest then?

@RIYAD said:
    check OVH & SoYouStart.

Get 1 server from any of them and start posting in here with offers . Good Luck.

I'll give them a shout, thanks!

• If you get a dedi, keep in mind SolusVM virtualization is pretty popular. Automation is key, especially when it comes to reinstalls. Xen is another option, but not as popular (I do not buy Xen).

One thing to make sure you get are enough IPs (IPv4) on the dedi. In terms of overselling, you need to be transparent here, as that is what attracts customers, and also monitor for customers who use majority of the vps resources most of the time (VPS is meant to be shared, and burst every now and then).

• @cheapwebdev said:
    If you get a dedi, keep in mind SolusVM virtualization is pretty popular. Automation is key, especially when it comes to reinstalls. Xen is another option, but not as popular (I do not buy Xen).

One thing to make sure you get are enough IPs (IPv4) on the dedi. In terms of overselling, you need to be transparent here, as that is what attracts customers, and also monitor for customers who use majority of the vps resources most of the time (VPS is meant to be shared, and burst every now and then).

Isn't Virtualizor more where it's at atm, not Solus?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • edited January 2018

@Hostbunk said:
    Also, I got a dell poweredge 2950 for free and I was thinking if I could use this to host.

>

Are you seriously trying to host your clients on a server that was released in 2006?

Thanked by 2steny Aidan
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

lol

• Run a couple of instance on that machine and check if the machine survives!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Unsustainable deals sell like hot cakes.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • WSSWSS Member

Lemme know when you plan on upgrading.. there are plenty of Core2Quads out there!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Are you seriously trying to host your clients on a server that was released in 2006?

Aside from the outrageous amount of power and the limited disk IO speeds, it's not as bad as you think it is. Depending on various factors (i.e. plan size, admin knowledge, software choices) he can fit a few hundred VPSs on a 2950 and nobody would complain.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

KuJoe said: Aside from the outrageous amount of power and the limited disk IO speeds, it's not as bad as you think it is. Depending on various factors (i.e. plan size, admin knowledge, software choices) he can fit a few hundred VPSs on a 2950 and nobody would complain.

That's interesting. When I've asked in the past how many VMS providers put on a node, providers have been skittish about answering.

Would a box like that typically have a two 4-core 3Ghz CPUs, 32GB of RAM, and 4 SAS drives? If the drives are 146G in RAID-4, call it 400GB of space.

So if you put 300 VMs on it (your guesstimate), is that typical? Are you thinking small 128s or something like that? Just curious how nodes are typically provisioned with VMs.

• the server is like my granmother.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@raindog308 said:

KuJoe said: Aside from the outrageous amount of power and the limited disk IO speeds, it's not as bad as you think it is. Depending on various factors (i.e. plan size, admin knowledge, software choices) he can fit a few hundred VPSs on a 2950 and nobody would complain.

That's interesting. When I've asked in the past how many VMS providers put on a node, providers have been skittish about answering.

Would a box like that typically have a two 4-core 3Ghz CPUs, 32GB of RAM, and 4 SAS drives? If the drives are 146G in RAID-4, call it 400GB of space.

So if you put 300 VMs on it (your guesstimate), is that typical? Are you thinking small 128s or something like that? Just curious how nodes are typically provisioned with VMs.

When we were using primarily 2950s our specs were:
    2x L5420s (2.5GHz)
    16GB RAM
    6x 500GB SAS Drives (RAID10)

I honestly forget the most we were able to fit on one server, it was either in the high 300s or high 400s range (32MB, 64MB, and 128MB mostly with some 256MB and 512MB in the mix). We didn't have any issues with disk IO or loads but this was after we invested years into our own scripts for handling abuse.

Actually we still have a 2950 in production that we haven't bothered replacing because it's been so stable, check out http://drgn.biz/servers and let me know if you can guess which one it is. ;)

EDIT: And of course I'm talking OpenVZ, KVM/Xen would take too much of a hit on performance.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Hostbunk said:

>

Are you seriously trying to host your clients on a server that was released in 2006?

Free is free, we all got to start somewhere. Last time I checked, this isn't "High-End Talk".

@Ympker said:

Depends on how you use I guess. I can say that none of the hosts I have used (HVH, Vultr, Gullo, ImpactVPS, VortexNode, VPRus, Virmach, FTPit, Hostodo, and many others) use Virtualizor. Looking into it, it looks interesting.

@deank said:

I smell another VortexNode SNAFU, bring it on!

• @cheapwebdev said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Hostbunk said:

>

Free is free, we all got to start somewhere. Last time I checked, this isn't "High-End Talk".

@Ympker said:

Depends on how you use I guess. I can say that none of the hosts I have used (HVH, Vultr, Gullo, ImpactVPS, VortexNode, VPRus, Virmach, FTPit, Hostodo, and many others) use Virtualizor. Looking into it, it looks interesting.

@deank said:

I smell another VortexNode SNAFU, bring it on!

@AnthonySmith started using it, @davidgestiondbi is impressed so far, too. I believe there are others out there starting to use it already just forgot the names^^

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cociu said: the server is like my granmother.

I hear Romanian GILFs are hot.

Thanked by 1nik