Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeForce GTX banned from Datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GeForce GTX banned from Datacenter?

LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-eula-prohibits-datacenter-blockchain-allowed/

Supposedly NVIDIA have made a change to their EULA which now stops 'datacentre usage' of their video cards. What do you think this could mean to providers like Ikoula and Hetzner who offer GeForce GTX cards with some of their offerings... bye bye?

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

They block their own sales increasing? Legit....

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2018

LordSpock said: What do you think this could mean to providers

Nothing, because it's a SOFTWARE EULA, and Hetzner isn't providing software.

Ostensibly, Nvidia could go after end users (there's a key hint in the "EU" of "EULA", and it's not "European Union") but it's quite unlikely for them to actually do so, since it's impossible for them to determine otherwise.

While not as optimized, Intel has an cuDNN implementation for Open-CL available, and at least it's free.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited January 2018

Simple. They say all their customers are doing "blockchain processing" and carry on with their day. It's not like NVIDIA will ever be able to gain access to people's servers and verify this at all.

Providers that offer machine learning services (i.e. Google, azure, etc.) on the other hand might be hard pressed to find an alternative.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited January 2018

It will make them even more money, and there will be even more of them in data centers. That simple just like why drugs are illegal - Illegal drugs cost more, enabling the comfy government officials to pocket its profit by selling it in bulk right in front of us.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    They block their own sales increasing? Legit....

They want datacenters to use the more expensive, workstation cards... Will only result in overall sales dropping

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • The only legit reply here.

@vovler said:

They want datacenters to use the more expensive, workstation cards... Will only result in overall sales dropping

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

MasonR said: Providers that offer machine learning services (i.e. Google, azure, etc.) on the other hand might be hard pressed to find an alternative.

Google already has TPUs, I wouldn't put it past them to invest in some more generic hardware for CV/other ML in the future.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sony sent me a letter the other day about a change in policy. I'm no longer permitted to use both HDMI inputs on my television. I quickly disconnected the PS4, as I wouldn't want to violate their use policy and have them reclaim my television.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2018

only in Murica, if you bought something in at least some countries of the EU or all ?, they could not do that.

You already bought the product, and if they change the EULA afterwards, does not matter.

• I'm probably more scared of student loan debt collectors than EULA enforcement

• Don't understand at all.

• Probably cause Geforce Now is coming out and it's cloud gaming

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    Sony sent me a letter the other day about a change in policy. I'm no longer permitted to use both HDMI inputs on my television. I quickly disconnected the PS4, as I wouldn't want to violate their use policy and have them reclaim my television.

With Sony's reputation for retroactively fucking over customers, I'm not completely certain that this is a joke.

Thanked by 3jar steny Junkless