Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUS stability?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUS stability?

So I love ordering new services based off the provider polls. Already picked some up. I was going to pick up HostUS because they seem to be trending well. Since I don't want to spend much time researching I just wanted to ask if they had servers down for over a week a little over a year ago per comment below from a LEB offering. I literally don't know the last time I've had down time anywhere so I couldn't deal with hours or weeks of downtime.

"Dan:
I don’t recommend this company. The servers were down for over a week and often go down due to high load (overselling) or due to apparent DDoS attacks as they says. Whatever the case, it’s not worth the effort.

Be aware …

November 2, 2016 @ 10:08 pm"

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Xei said: I don't want to spend much time researching I just wanted to ask...

Don't worry, we'll do all the work for ya. You can trust me. Their stability is bigly. Everyone says so. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hi @Xei

Oct 16 (If I recall) we had some issues where we were victims of DDoS attacks linked to other companies (The attacker is currently in the legal system I believe for ddos attacks on other companies) we since changed certain things and have had no major outages since I believe.

let me know if you have any questions, any company is going to have someone with a bad experience, but I think its clear with our reviews and reputation on LET we are a well liked and respected company :-)

Alexander

Thanked by 2Junkless Xei
  • XeiXei Member

Thanks! It's not that easy to go back in time and scour forums for answers. Easier to make a thread versus me spending hours. I'll be picking one up.

@Xei said:
    Thanks! It's not that easy to go back in time and scour forums for answers. Easier to make a thread versus me spending hours. I'll be picking one up.

Glad you have chose us for your service :) If you have any issues or questions don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Alexander

• had a server once with them. support are very responsible. :)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • I rely on the up/down voting on lowendstock.com and they have good reviews.

Thanked by 2Xei AlexanderM
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited January 2018

@cheapwebdev said:
    I rely on the up/down voting on lowendstock.com and they have good reviews.

Wishosting is at -13 and LES is at -14, lol really accurate rating system there.

In case anyone had broken sarcasm detectors, this is one. Both wishosting and LES are great!

• LESLES Member
    edited January 2018

TheOnlyDK said: Wishosting is at -13 and LES is at -14, lol really accurate rating system there.

It is accurate as an ip based system can be... i also forgot to reset the votes end of 2016.

To HostUS: Never had any problems and my uk box is working fine.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • Been with HostUS since Dec 29th 2015 with their 768mb special and still renew my 4 active services which 3 are DNS servers for my cPanel server. You won't go wrong choosing them.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • @TheOnlyDK said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    I rely on the up/down voting on lowendstock.com and they have good reviews.

Wishosting is at -13 and LES is at -14, lol really accurate rating system there.

In case anyone had broken sarcasm detectors, this is one. Both wishosting and LES are great!

Well I can't speak for those 2 hosts. I can say that all the hosts I have had issues/problems with are negative and the ones I do and have relied on are positive. Given that I never vote, seemed good enough for me.

• XeiXei Member

@LES said:

TheOnlyDK said: Wishosting is at -13 and LES is at -14, lol really accurate rating system there.

It is accurate as an ip based system can be... i also forgot to reset the votes end of 2016.

To HostUS: Never had any problems and my uk box is working fine.

I must say that your website is very cool I just bookmarked it. Is there any way to sort by country? Thanks for your efforts.

Thanked by 1LES
  • I've both their shared and VPS products. Both work well enough for me.

• Hostus are great. When they entered(?) the UK market they got hit hard by DDOS which coused quite some downtime. I think they switched DCs after that. Not sure as I moved my VM when that happened. Solid provider though.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • FWIW, I have VPSes from them in three locations and reachability was >99.9% in all three in Oct-Dec. The Herndon VPS was unreachable for 20 minutes this week, but that's the only major incident I've seen.

Thanked by 2Xei AlexanderM
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Been with them for a while. Occasional network hiccups. Last issue I reported to them, they first said everything was alright then I insisted, they apparently had to reboot all, or some vps'es. I was the one that reported it. They didnt say what happened. Not only I had to insist that it was an issue in their end as they ended up rebooting my VPS without permission/notice and/or explanation.

I pay them peanuts so its alright. I take them as a serious, nice company. If you rely on their support you might have some issues though.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

Thanks for all the feedback. I picked one up earlier in the day that I'll toy with later this week. I use other providers for critical availability but I still prefer all my servers be available than not. Do most LET providers have monitor scripts on all their nodes to know if they're acting up (network/connectivity issues for both IPV4 and IPV6)? As far as support I virtually never have to engage anywhere

• Highly recommending HostUS. Been with them for 2+ years. Very good network and stable service.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • HostUS has been great for my usage requirements. Picked up 5x $25/yr 2GB OpenVZ holiday specials last year - benchmarks/reviews at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/hostus-us-holiday-deals-2gb-openvz-vps-25-yr.9874/

And this holiday special last month picked up another 2x in $49/yr total for 2x 2GB OpenVZ VPS https://community.centminmod.com/threads/hostus-us-holiday-specials-2017.13586/

So I have now have HostUS VPS in London, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Washington DC and Dallas :)

For the price at $25/yr each, they make great Centmin Mod test/dev servers and also used for some production sites. I am also evaluating them to add to my GeoDNS based load balanced cluster nodes to replace some aging older cpu based VPSes though :)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

So I picked up the server when I made this thread but I've been swamped, so today's my first time giving it a go.

While the service was deployed per the control panel it was inaccessible over SSH (should have checked it on day one, I didn't bother based on all the positive feedback). I couldn't find anything stating SSH would be disabled or IP restricted by default. I did a reinstall to see if that would fix the server and make SSH accessible, no dice.

Next up in an attempt to access the server I tried using the emergency console to install basic stuff, luckily it did work (meaning SSH was active/accessible) but it died pretty quickly.

So then I attempted to disable the console after I lost connectivity to it (thinking restarting it would fix it in) but would get the message "Action failed: Server login failed." At this point it was kind of obvious stuff isn't working as intended and it's time to wait on support (I made a support ticket after I confirmed SSH didn't work earlier).

My experience doesn't align with what I've read, so I would imagine I'm experiencing a fluke. I will say I've never experienced anything like this ever (sheer number of problems without ever connecting to the VPS directly even once, e.g. Action failed, cannot fetch server data, and other weird errors for a new VPS) and I've been around the block. I did cancel the server which I paid for annually, i would appreciate a refund but I understand it's outside the window. Overall I'm glad I checked them out, my journey to fine more solid providers continues.

• Xei said: While the service was deployed per the control panel it was inaccessible over SSH (should have checked it on day one, I didn't bother based on all the positive feedback). I couldn't find anything stating SSH would be disabled or IP restricted by default. I did a reinstall to see if that would fix the server and make SSH accessible, no dice.

what OS ? maybe OS image issues ?

I have no problem using CentOS 6/7 images with HostUS

• Could be an image/template issue (I know Debian by default prevents root logins via password but that is often changed/customized in the templates to allow/override).

Also, IIRC, HostUS has an option in their control panel to setup SSH keys as well.

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

It's Debian 9 / Stretch. But I have at least 7 new VPS's with this installed at different companies. At the very least the SSH port would respond if root logins are disabled. Also it doesn't explain why the server died after less than 10 minutes of it being in the emergency console (after apt-get update/upgrade, it died when I was compiling my first apps - Python which was preceded by OpenSSL). It's highly unusual and I could be doing something wrong (I've setup like 10 servers in the past several months), but I rather just stick with servers that just work from the get-go as that's what I'm used to.

• Was this KVM (and VNC) or OVZ? I'm curious on why there might have been some issues.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

When you’ve been compiling, you have probably hogged CPU resources. You shouldn’t really be expecting to do it on such a cheap service, should you ?

I place my bet on Node Watch.

• XeiXei Member

@Clouvider said:
    When you’ve been compiling, you have probably hogged CPU resources. You shouldn’t really be expecting to do it on such a cheap service, should you ?

I place my bet on Node Watch.

I was compiling Python. I didn't know you can't compile Python on the these things. But yeah I've never picked up a low end service in years. I just wanted to try them out. My old low end stuff has no problem compiling Python. I didnt realize compilation wasn't possible on these things.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

I’m not saying it’s not possible. Im saying that usage has to be reasonable. I probably wouldn’t dare to do long compilations on such a cheap service out of respect to my neighbours.

• XeiXei Member

I received a reply:
    "With Debian 9 SSH is not installed by default, it is on other OS'es."

So that explains why SSH didn't work, though every other provider I've come across had it enabled for Debian 9 (and prior versions) . Also the email 'Your OpenVZ VPS is now ready!' also says 'Service Details' "Default SSH Port: 22". No way for a customer's to know SSH is not installed when reading that.

Clouvider explained compiling (at least costly such as Python) isn't possible per node watch. If I had known i wouldn't have ordered since I need to be able to compile Python as I'm a developer. I had assumed it would be comparable to every other provider I've ever had (first time I couldn't compile). Going forward when I do pick a LET based host I'll be sure to ask these questions though! There's nothing wrong with HostUS just their plan was unusable for my needs.

Hi, with Debian 9 SSH is not enabled by default, we will install the package to avoid the confusion in the future! Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks
    Alexander

Thanked by 1Xei
  • @Xei said:

>

Clouvider explained compiling (at least costly such as Python) isn't possible per node watch. If I had known i wouldn't have ordered since I need to be able to compile Python as I'm a developer. I had assumed it would be comparable to every other provider I've ever had (first time I couldn't compile).

There are 3 kinds of providers. One throttles your usage if you use too much. AWS is one of that. One kills your VM if you use too much. That's the possible situation that Clouvider explained. (Of course you can talk to the provider beforehand and come up with a plan.) The last one never put an eye on usage. GVH is a nice example.

We are yet not sure if hostus will kill your vm or not. You can simply create a ticket and ask, and (since they are nice) I'm sure you will be settled and satisfied.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Xei said:
    I need to be able to compile Python as I'm a developer.

Silly question.. But why do you need to compile python? As a developer, I've never had the actual need to compile python, 2.x and 3.x tends to be available on systems, and we also have virtualenv to fix that ;) No need to compile anything.

Thanked by 2Clouvider uptime