Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nocix and IP2Location DB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nocix and IP2Location DB

Can anyone enlighten me on whether this is recent or something Nocix has always done...

I was doing a whois on a domain today via domaintools.com to check what contact information I had loaded. This domain is hosted on a Nocix server and has been for a few months. Under the IP Location field it reported: 'Missouri - North Kansas City - My Full Name'.

I checked the server IP on iplocation.net and it seems that Nocix are reporting the clients name/business under the 'ISP' field in the IP2Location db.

This is a first for me, I've never seen a provider publish those details in that sort of way. Is this commonly done in the industry? I've hosted with dozens of providers over the last 17 years and never seen individual IP's updated to reflect the clients details. Some checks on other IP's in same subnet show the same thing.

Thanks

Comments

• Duh, SWIP. It's common with some providers.

• Technically its an RFC that all Providers / Data centers should uphold, but sadly a lot are lazy and do not.

Generally speaking if you delegate a /29 or larger it is supposed to be SWIP'd to the customers information. by RFC standards. Luckily or unluckily a lot of small providers don't follow this as they should. Nice to see NOCIX at least following the standard as they should!

P.S. If you are a provider and you are trying to apply for new IPs from ARIN/RIPE/Etc they will require you to show justification and usage of the IPs and the best way to do this is to follow the RFC guideline and SWIP the IPs so that you can demonstrate actual usage.

Cheers!

• Cheers for that. I'm happy to put my hand up and say I'm a noob when it comes to high level IP networking. I've never seen this before and I've been hosted in quite a few large datacentres in the past. You learn something every day! Thanks

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Ramhost does SWIP by default on their VPS services.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@doughmanes said:
    Ramhost does SWIP by default on their VPS services.

No, we don't.

It can be requested, and we can do it, but it isn't something we do by default.

By default we SWIP large IP blocks to the address of the datacenter they are hosted from, so GeoIP works in a sensible way.

• ramnet said: No, we don't.

At one time you did. I'm an ex-customer.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2018

@doughmanes said:
    At one time you did. I'm an ex-customer.

Doing something by default is different to doing something if requested via ticket.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2018

pike said: Doing something by default is different to doing something if requested via ticket.

It was done by default when I was a customer. No ticket.