Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the impact of each parameter ? How to integrate it in choosing a web hosting ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the impact of each parameter ? How to integrate it in choosing a web hosting ?

voutyvouty Member
edited September 2013 in Providers

Hi !
I'm pretty new in hosting. I have my own website (LMS) and first I started by an illimited solution .... not going too fast.
Now I've been with a Justhost account with for 1 year and began to test DigitalOcean 2 months ago.
My problem is that I don't understand exactly the impact of each parameter of solutions. I read a lot of stuff ... too far from business. Right now I'd like to have a feedback from professional because I'm starting a business on internet .
So, my parameters are :
_ Webmaster in Canada
_ Customers : North America , Europe , (Asia, Australia)
_ Memory 512B memory and possibility to increase depending of number of customers
_ Response time : "acceptable"
_ HDD : 20GB
_ Transfert : 500GB/month

So, after looking to different offers, my questions are :
_ Is it a robust solution to have backups without the ability to download them ?
_ What is the meaning , in the real world, of this : "The only bandwidth limitation is your 30Mbps bandwidth limit imposed on the entire hosting account." ? is it a good information ?
_ Is it easy generally easy to upgrade a solution from 512 Mb to 1Gb, 2Gb ?
_ If I consider that : 2Gb (RAM)/ 2 Cores /20Gb (HDD) and Tranfert of 500GB/month is enough for my needs (N concurrent users) , Does it mean that no other parameter can affect performance ( I'm thinking something like XX Mbs bandwidth ...) ?
_ Which questions do I have to ask to know the real price per month for dufferent solutions ?

Thank you

Comments

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited September 2013

I'm assuming you're talking about a VPS here, so here is my attempt at answering them. Hopefully I covered everything.

@vouty said:
    _ Is it a robust solution to have backups without the ability to download them ?

Some VPS hosting companies offer daily backups of your files. You might want to ask your host about that, if not you can just download whole www/public_html directory to your computer or Dropbox/Copy/Box (thats just what I do)

_ Is it easy generally easy to upgrade a solution from 512 Mb to 1Gb, 2Gb ?

On a VPS its pretty painless it can be done without a reboot. It'll cost a little bit extra and you just have to ask your host to see how much they charge.

_ If I consider that : 2Gb (RAM)/ 2 Cores /20Gb (HDD) and Tranfert of 500GB/month is enough for my needs (N concurrent users) , Does it mean that no other parameter can affect performance ( I'm thinking something like XX Mbs bandwidth ...) ?

Well, there are a few other factors. Where the server is located at, the network speed of the server itself (most providers display this on the order page), and how many other people are on the same node and how oversold that provider is. I'd recommend searching for some reviews of the provider you choose to see what other people think of them.

_ Which questions do I have to ask to know the real price per month for dufferent solutions ?

For different solutions..? Not sure but i'm assuming you're talking about extra resources? If so then...

Extra ram - Submit a ticket to the host and ask what they charge for xxGB of ram

Extra Storage - Submit a ticket to the host and ask what they charge for xxGB of extra space

• Hi ,
    Yes I'm talking about a VPS.
    Pretty relevant information for me and I begin to better understand the right questions to ask me about VPS.
    So my first priority today would be to make a backup of an existing website.
    I went on internet , looking for commands "Dropbox/Copy/Box" ; it wasn't a success except I found another company for cloud backup : "copy" (20GB free).
    So, may I ask you where I can find some documentation on backup of website on Dropbox ? I'd appreciate .
    My level of knowledge today : Using "Putty" and "Filezilla" .
    Have a nice day