Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which DNS tool/service do you use (wanna get rid of bind9) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which DNS tool/service do you use (wanna get rid of bind9)

2»

Comments

• @lemon said:

@sleddog said:

I use nsd with an in-house web interface for about 150 domains.

You might have a look at https://github.com/msimerson/NicTool which is a DNS web interface that supports several backend DNS servers, including nsd.

looks promising, but holy moly, this desgin!
    straight outta the 90s

Jesus fuck you're picky.

• @MrObvious said:

@lemon said:
    straight outta the 90s

Jesus fuck you're picky.

.. considering he's using a resolver "straight outta the 90s", I find it quite amusing.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • lemonlemon Member
    edited December 2017

@MrObvious said:

@lemon said:

@sleddog said:

I use nsd with an in-house web interface for about 150 domains.

You might have a look at https://github.com/msimerson/NicTool which is a DNS web interface that supports several backend DNS servers, including nsd.

straight outta the 90s

Jesus fuck you're picky.

i didn't say its bad :)
    i just didnt thought anyone would code something like this nowdays

• @lemon said:

...because DNS is FAST EXCITING and really needs a fucking ajaxy json response for "RECORD ADDED".

• Never used it but atomiadns + powerdns. atomiadns code base might not be updated anymore though but it is "pretty".

Thanked by 1lemon
  • @WSS said:

@lemon said:

...because DNS is FAST EXCITING and really needs a fucking ajaxy json response for "RECORD ADDED".

have you tried the demo?

• @lemon said:

@WSS said:

@lemon said:

have you tried the demo?

No; I'm quite comfortable with vi.

• vi4life

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

@nik said:
    PowerDNS is really flexible in regards to the backend, you could easily use a BIND backend and keep your zone files

This is what I do.

PowerDNS handles Bind zone files better than Bind itself does. I've seen massive performance improvement doing this on my cPanel dns servers.

Seems to be much fewer security updates for PowerDNS compared to Bind too which is nice.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ramnet said:
    Seems to be much fewer security updates for PowerDNS compared to Bind too which is nice.

"Ice is colder water. Film at 11!"

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: Who the fuck restarts their nameservice instead of just HUPping it?

systemctl reload does just that, versus systemctl restart.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: Who the fuck restarts their nameservice instead of just HUPping it?

systemctl reload does just that, versus systemctl restart.

Stop baiting me, because you haven't even put a quarter in the slot yet.

• Nsd4 sucks, the ram usage is joke near 75mb just for one zone.

• Isn't there some nodejs based funny dns "server" incl. ajax web 3.0 front-end/panel thingy, preferably with a php/web based installer?

Oh, and: Be absolutely sure to use only toys that are mysql based (with phpmyadmin, too, of course. After all, you want something professional, right)

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@leb_anonymous said:
    Nsd4 sucks, the ram usage is joke near 75mb just for one zone.

2146 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2147 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2148 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326196 2116  0.2 nsd -d
     2149 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2150 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2151 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2152 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2153 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2154 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d
     2155 ?        S      0:17      0     0 326064 2204  0.2 nsd -d

If you say so. That's 10 (pre)forks handling about 80 zones on the primary nameserver.

@bsdguy said:
    Isn't there some nodejs based funny dns "server" incl. ajax web 3.0 front-end/panel thingy, preferably with a php/web based installer?

Good news for most of this, but it's a go based npm installation for the node service which restarts it when it times out every 30000ns.. also it can't handle UDP but otherwise it works just fine!

• WSS said: @leb_anonymous said: Nsd4 sucks, the ram usage is joke near 75mb just for one zone.

I've seen nsd using near that before with low number of zone, its due to the rate limiter hashtable size which default to 1000000 heres my server with a few zone with ratelimiter on with default 1000000 hashtable.

If you lower the size of the hashtable you can cut the ram usage quite a bit

• @WSS said:
    Good news for most of this, but it's a go based npm installation for the node service which restarts it when it times out every 30000ns.. also it can't handle UDP but otherwise it works just fine!

Pardon my mistrust but: does it require and use mysql? Is there a php based installer? Is there a browser plugin to remote control it? After all, as I said we want something hardcore professional!

@Razza said:
    If you lower the size of the hashtable you can cut the ram usage quite a bit

Changing parameters? Not going with a default config? HERESY!

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:

@WSS said:

Pardon my mistrust but: does it require and use mysql? Is there a php based installer? Is there a browser plugin to remote control it? After all, as I said we want something hardcore professional!

Better yet- if you don't have Node installed, you can curl this script piped into bash as root and it'll take care of it for ya!