Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget Dedicated Sever (Buying)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget Dedicated Sever (Buying)

yourarnavyourarnav Member
edited September 2013 in Help

Hello people, I need a Dedicated Server for x264 Video Encoding.

CPU - Intel Xeon 1245V2

RAM - 16 or 32GB

HDD - (Doesn't matter)

Location - FRANCE (because that's the cheapest)

OS - Windows R2 WEB Edition

PORT - 1 GBPS Downlink

Uplink - works even if it capped at 200MBps

Budget - 65$ - 70$

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2013

OVH? or Kimsufi? (Same company)

http://www.kimsufi.com/

https://www.ovh.com/fr/

Not sure about a 1GBPS port with them.

• I'm from India and they don't sell here! Need a re-seller!

@ATHK said:
    OVH? or Kimsufi? (Same company)

http://www.kimsufi.com/

https://www.ovh.com/fr/

Not sure about a 1GBPS port with them.

• I think they only have limitations for the newest Kimsufis, the regular servers from OVH should be available to anyone, including from India?

• Still I'd love to buy from a reseller who should be able to provide me some sort of support too!

@rds100 said:
    I think they only have limitations for the newest Kimsufis, the regular servers from OVH should be available to anyone, including from India?

• Didn't ChicagoVPS have something in their bargain bin for this budget?

I encode video on a L5420 and an older E3-1230 series with Windows Server 2008 running on KVM just fine.

• @yourarnav said:
    Still I'd love to buy from a reseller who should be able to provide me some sort of support too!

Well how would he? Resellers get exactly the same support from OVH as anyone else...

• People please suggest some companies who matches my needs! I can't directly buy from OVH!

• Have you tried google?

• $70 seems too cheap for a ivy bridge E3. But if you find one, please let me know, I'd be interested in buying one too (France, USA, anywhere is of interest. mostly us tho)

• @rds100 said:
    I think they only have limitations for the newest Kimsufis, the regular servers from OVH should be available to anyone, including from India?

Kimsufi 2013 is EU only but OVH has never sold to many countries. It doesn't sell to most countries in Asia, or Australia/New Zealand. Africa is limited to a few countries that were former French colonies. Europe, US/Canada (through ovh.ie), and Latin America (through ovh.es and ovh.pt) are really the only places on OVH's approved list.

FYI, most of the OVH dedicated resellers (especially the ones selling on places like WJunction) tend to be, umm scumbags IMHO.

If you want a cheap server in Europe you might want to look at Hetzner's ServerBidding.com (Germany), SeFlow (Italy), Online.net (France), Digicube.fr (France) and FirstHeberg.com (France, but I think they're currently sold out).

• yourarnavyourarnav Member
    edited September 2013

thanks for so many options, but no one fits in the budget!

@DomainBop said:
    If you want a cheap server in Europe you might want to look at Hetzner's ServerBidding.com (Germany), SeFlow (Italy), Online.net (France), Digicube.fr (France) and FirstHeberg.com (France, but I think they're currently sold out).

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

if 1230 can serve the purpose, pm me

lots of other powerfull cpu's avaliable, pm me for details

• What software do you use for the encoding? Is it multi threaded?

• @yourarnav How can the hard disk capacity not matter to you if you're encoding video? There must be a minimum capacity you require to encode your largest filesize video.

• Your average 1080 x264 is at least 10GB of data. I'd think a Windows installation is at least 5-10GB. So you'd need at least 25GB of disk space just to encode a single video, right?

• Why do people use windows for encoding? Isn't it counter productive?

• strexstrex Member
    edited September 2013
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@strex said:

Ah yup :/ well, the next one I see in stock is Server Dedibox LT, more disk and more ram

• I do encoding on a 2GB 1vCPU VM on my home server (E3-1230 v1), that seems mighty overspeced for encoding

• Yes, I'm gonna use Handbrake!

@rds100 said:
    What software do you use for the encoding? Is it multi threaded?

• 60 - 100GB will do fine! SSD if better!

@rajprakash said:
    yourarnav How can the hard disk capacity not matter to you if you're encoding video? There must be a minimum capacity you require to encode your largest filesize video.

• B.c I ain't got no one to teach me linux! Will u?

@rds100 said:
    Why do people use windows for encoding? Isn't it counter productive?

• @yourarnav said:
    B.c I ain't got no one to teach me linux! Will u?

Learn it yourself. Geez.. lazy people these days.

have replied your pm

kindly check

• edited September 2013

@yourarnav said:

I'm from India and they don't sell here! Need a re-seller!

I can resell you from ovh.com , they are slightly more expensive than ovh.ie but offer a much better service. Markup will be very small. Please submit a ticket https://client.doanvps.net/submitticket.php with subject "OVH Resell".

if you are from india, you can call me at +91-9835350707 (india direct number)