Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve Plex streaming from Kimsufi (France) to Australia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to improve Plex streaming from Kimsufi (France) to Australia?

Heard Cloudflare isnt good for Australia, heard that maybe reverse proxy through a local VPS is a good idea? I found a cheap one with 1TB bandwidth which will be enough for me.

How do I get it so only plex streams go through the VPS and nothing else?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

You'll want to find something that has good peering but having your server in France you're not going to have the best experience. My server is located in Australia and lots of people in Europe use it but it's mostly luck that it works nicely and a couple of people in the US need to use VPNs to get a good connection.

Haven't used it before but this looks promising. https://github.com/toomuchio/plex-nginx-reverseproxy

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • Cloudflare.. even though its no good, its still better than without.

• Pay for better service.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited December 2017

@trewq said:
    You'll want to find something that has good peering but having your server in France you're not going to have the best experience. My server is located in Australia and lots of people in Europe use it but it's mostly luck that it works nicely and a couple of people in the US need to use VPNs to get a good connection.

Haven't used it before but this looks promising. https://github.com/toomuchio/plex-nginx-reverseproxy

What host do you use in Australia that doesn't mind transcoding that sometimes happens or do you just deactivate transcoding all the time? Looking for one that has like 2TB of bandwidth for a decent price.

• @6ixth said:
    What host do you use in Australia that doesn't mind transcoding that sometimes happens or do you just deactivate transcoding all the time?

It's probably his own equipment, doober.

Thanked by 1pike
    edited December 2017

@6ixth said:

@trewq said:

What host do you use in Australia that doesn't mind transcoding that sometimes happens or do you just deactivate transcoding all the time? Looking for one that has like 2TB of bandwidth for a decent price.

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

On a 250/100 fibre connection from my house.

This has nothing to do with my business and is a personal project.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Try using the BBR or Illinois TCP congestion algorithms on the server.

• @stefeman said:
    Cloudflare.. even though its no good, its still better than without.

Plex runs on some 32XXX Port Cloudflare doesn't support that.

@lion said:

@stefeman said:
    Cloudflare.. even though its no good, its still better than without.

Plex runs on some 32XXX Port Cloudflare doesn't support that.

You can run it on different ports but you loose support for some devices.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2017

You lose support for all TVs and resumes after pause (needs reload), works on PC and android though.

• @trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

And how much its cost to build something like that?

@ferri said:

@trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

More than I care to admit.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@trewq said:

@ferri said:

@trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

It does run incredibly well I must say.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @trewq said:

@ferri said:

@trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

I wish .. one day :D

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited December 2017

A proxy won't help, been there in almost the exact situation. I had to rent a dedi a few states away instead and that helped tremendously. TBH, you'd have better luck with Asian or US dedi than EU based on location.

• @trewq said:

@6ixth said:

@trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

How do you even get 250/100 in Australia? Do you bond connections or something?

@6ixth said:

@trewq said:

@6ixth said:

@trewq said:

I run:
    2x E5-2670
    64GB RAM
    525GB SSD RAID1
    26TB Usable Space

How do you even get 250/100 in Australia? Do you bond connections or something?

NBN has retail plans up to 1000/400 :) You've just got to have a provider that has a good network and be willing to pay the price.