Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Packet Loss on route killing backups - How to fix?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Packet Loss on route killing backups - How to fix?

Backups from a dedicated server I lease to a ftp storage VPS I use suddenly started failing. Troubleshooting shows massive (18%) packet loss at a hop on the route. What is the best way to fix this? Contact my server host? Contact the Storage VPS host? Use WhoIS for the offending IP and contact the manager? Contact all 3?

I haven't seen this problem before and want to try to solve the problem in the best way.

Advice solicited.

Comments

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

contact them both and provide them with a mtr and traceroute.

• You should contact whoever you're paying for this peering issue. If it's a generic transit between two companies you don't at least-second-tier support, they're just going to ignore you anyhow.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • If you get packetloss only on 1 hop of the route and it disappears again afterwards, it's not packetloss on the route.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    If you get packetloss only on 1 hop of the route and it disappears again afterwards, it's not packetloss on the route.

Very important, frequently forgotten by many.

Thanked by 2Aidan Clouvider
  • Beyond what has been said already you could setup a VPN and see if that avoids the problematic hop.

• @jarland said:

@teamacc said:
    If you get packetloss only on 1 hop of the route and it disappears again afterwards, it's not packetloss on the route.

Very important, frequently forgotten by many.

Sorry @jarland, can you send that again?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:

@teamacc said:

Ve*y impo*t*nt, freq*en*ly forgo*ten *y ma*y.

ftfy

• I have some trace routes with loss on 3 hops and some with just one IP. What is it if it is not packet loss on the route? Moreover, how do you solve it? This problem is stopping my backups from working. They never finish.

@teamacc said:

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2017

@teamacc said:

Congrats on becoming a mod! :)

• show traceroute vice verse

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MTUser2012 said:
    I have some trace routes with loss on 3 hops and some with just one IP. What is it if it is not packet loss on the route? Moreover, how do you solve it? This problem is stopping my backups from working. They never finish.

@teamacc said:

You can have a loss on even 10 hops, it matters nothing relevant.

As long as the loss does not carry over from one hop to the very end you have no case.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2017

@MTUser2012 said:
    I have some trace routes with loss on 3 hops and some with just one IP. What is it if it is not packet loss on the route? Moreover, how do you solve it? This problem is stopping my backups from working. They never finish.

@teamacc said:

The next stage will be to fully define where you say "started failing." How does the failure look from your perspective, what data do you have available to show the failure?