Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudNS Failing DNS Queries
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudNS Failing DNS Queries

I've noticed the past few days that on servers and domains I run, I'm getting SERVFAIL from cloudNS, though the servers are up. The outages seem to be relatively brief in the range of seconds and minutes.

I've used them for over a year and this is the first time I've seen them fail at ...anything tbh.

Comments

• Which servers?

I've not noticed anything on the DDOS protected/Anycast servers but then I've not been checking either so I probably wouldn't have noticed unless it happened at the exact wrong moment.

Probably worth raising it with their support and see what they say.

Thanked by 1wa44io4
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I can only point and laugh at you, relying on some random external DNS service and expecting it to perform reliably. Want it done right, run your own.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2017

Well, you can get 3x DDOS protected VPS's, put PowerDNS on it + Galera for the DB cluster and PowerAdmin for manging it.

Its not Anycast, means the latency is higher for the first request but its cached anyways so meh.

Or just cloudflare, just for DNS, works fine. I would not recommend proxying anything through cloudflare

• I have not noticed anything either, I am on DDoS protected plans.

• I'm using the pns* servers. Just noticed it over the last week.

I'll make the effort to start monitoring them and will post here.

Just noticed on domains I regularly visit and when the TTL expires the browser is having trouble finding the site...

• wa44io4wa44io4 Member
    edited December 2017

@ricardo said:
    I'm using the pns* servers. Just noticed it over the last week.

I'll make the effort to start monitoring them and will post here.

Just noticed on domains I regularly visit and when the TTL expires the browser is having trouble finding the site...

Did you tried contacting support regarding this? Support seems to very good so far ...

• BoyanPeychevBoyanPeychev Member
    edited December 2017

@ricardo said:
    I've noticed the past few days that on servers and domains I run, I'm getting SERVFAIL from cloudNS, though the servers are up. The outages seem to be relatively brief in the range of seconds and minutes.

I've used them for over a year and this is the first time I've seen them fail at ...anything tbh.

Hi, we do not have any issues with our service or network. Also there are no problems detected by the third party monitoring systems we are using.

For which hostname you are having problems?
    From which ISP you are getting SERVFAIL?
    Please share the details with our technical support by the support menu in top of your control panel.

Thanked by 1ehab