Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider Poll Discussion - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider Poll Discussion

Comments

• JoeMerit said: I vote in such polls just to shill for the providers that I have aff links for in my signature.

Fucking hell man, let it go, he's long gone now.

• FireVPSFireVPS Member, Patron Provider

I am new provider here. No one voted me. :(

• I am new provider here. No one voted me. :(

The links in your sig are seriously messed up, maybe when hell freezes over.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@reseller2host said:

Don't take it to heart, it can take time to get votes.

Don't do something stupid like start almost giving service away to try to get more people on. If you're serious with this, just slow and steady it.

Francisco

@Aidan said:

The links in your sig are seriously messed up, maybe when hell freezes over.

Discount applied when you press Continue.

@Francisco said:

@reseller2host said:

Don't take it to heart, it can take time to get votes.

Don't do something stupid like start almost giving service away to try to get more people on. If you're serious with this, just slow and steady it.

Francisco

Set BuyVM as a role model.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

reseller2host said: Set BuyVM as a role model.

Eh, I'm a terrible/miserable roll model :P It's just really easy for new providers to spin out of control with debt. Serverhand was an extremely recent example of that. They got caught up in their own growth without sitting down and doing the math.

There is a reason that we have always had stock limits on things and don't just wildly spin up gear all the time.

I put a lot of focus into making sure that our costs are in check and that the company is safe.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

reseller2host said: Set BuyVM as a role model.

Eh, I'm a terrible/miserable roll model :P It's just really easy for new providers to spin out of control with debt. Serverhand was an extremely recent example of that. They got caught up in their own growth without sitting down and doing the math.

There is a reason that we have always had stock limits on things and don't just wildly spin up gear all the time.

I put a lot of focus into making sure that our costs are in check and that the company is safe.

Francisco

Of course, will remember that. I really mean it, you are like a role model with your uniqueness (CP-Stallion, Presentation style).

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • No votes for me again this year in the provider poll. : (

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I like this format because does not force me to give an order. I always thought of that before and wasnt satisfied with the order eventually, this solves the problem :P

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited December 2017

20 minutes of coding later, and now I have a personal vote counter.

(Checks the spreadsheet every minute)

Last updated as of 1:40PM EST on 30/12/2017.

Time to put this on the Raspberry Pi Orange Pi and set up a live display :p

Thanked by 2Francisco MikePT
    edited December 2017

And... crap, there goes the lazy method I used to obtain the votes. Sigh.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Access to the datasheet seem restricted now

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Decided to keep it a bit of a secret until the 6th :)

Thanked by 2ben47955 Basil
    edited December 2017

@hawc

Dammit, now the 20 minutes I spent are in vain. >:(

• @ben47955 said:
    Access to the datasheet seem restricted now

He realised people could tot up the totals themselves if they made a copy of the sheet..

• FlamesRunner said: Dammit, now the 20 minutes I spent are in vain. >:(

Now you need to parse the thread

• LjLLjL Member

Time to write an automatic poll thread parser. And run it in a crontab on the best provider of 2017.

edited January 2018

LjL said: Time to write an automatic poll thread parser. And run it in a crontab on the best provider of 2017.

Ain't gonna work, people have multiple brands which are sometimes misspelled, or simply indicate the owner, while also doing it multiple times in a post...
    You need to account for a lost of variables, manually counting would be faster and less error prone :P

Thanked by 1WSS
  • LjLLjL Member

I didn't say it would be an easy script to write @Maonique, we've got to use that 100% CPU time for something... I suspect a bunch of neural networks would do the trick.

• WSSWSS Member

@LjL said:
    I didn't say it would be an easy script to write @Maonique, we've got to use that 100% CPU time for something... I suspect a bunch of neural networks would do the trick.

Sorry, I'm busy.

• Apologies to mods for polluting the voting thread. I was just about to move my comment to this thread, since I just saw it.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

Seems euro hosts are dominating the charts except for Buyvm. Would be helpful if we knew the percentage of users voting based on continent. Regional voting data is available for nearly all major voting systems after all ;)

• @sureiam

Here's the problem: Votes are filled in a spreadsheet, and for the 500+ votes submitted, not one has an identifying country already listed.

This would take a great deal of time to do, so I doubt it'll happen.

edited January 2018

sureiam said: Seems euro hosts are dominating the charts except for Buyvm.

Since colo/dedis are cheaper in EU, that is normal, also the network is better and peering vastly superior.

Africa, a big part of asia as well as people concerned with privacy and "offshore"-ing are hosting here.

Thanked by 2Shazan Aidan
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@sureiam said:
    Seems euro hosts are dominating the charts except for Buyvm.

Those euro hosts are good at least so I understand how they make the top. As for BuyVM... no idea. LET top polls are a mixed bag, you still have to do some filtering and research. At least one provider just makes it because they're well liked and friendly with everyone, not necessarily for providing good services in my experience.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@sureiam said:
    Seems euro hosts are dominating the charts except for Buyvm. Would be helpful if we knew the percentage of users voting based on continent. Regional voting data is available for nearly all major voting systems after all ;)

Which is funny, given that the clientele we see from LET is usually from across the pond. :)

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @Clouvider said:

@sureiam said:

Which is funny, given that the clientele we see from LET is usually from across the pond. :)

Interesting. I guess they are geolocating perhaps. Otherwise i can't understand why state bound users would want their data in Europe. But whatever works.

@FlamesRunner said:
    @sureiam

Here's the problem: Votes are filled in a spreadsheet, and for the 500+ votes submitted, not one has an identifying country already listed.

This would take a great deal of time to do, so I doubt it'll happen.

Perhaps they could use ip data? Sure the mods that created the thread can see it But maybe that'll be something for next year

sureiam said: i can't understand why state bound users would want their data in Europe.

But... But... Offsore, no DMCA???

• @sureiam said:
    Perhaps they could use ip data? Sure the mods that created the thread can see it But maybe that'll be something for next year

Use the signup ip? Use the last-seen ip? Use which geolocation service? What if the ip checks out to be a VPN? Does that even count?