Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch - Christmas and New Years 2018 deals - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch - Christmas and New Years 2018 deals

13»

Comments

• Amazing storage offer, very tempted. Thanks for extending it til tonight. I hope I can resist it for that long.

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • Thanks for extending the offer, this is going to be much appreciated by current ZXHost customers, given today's news.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the extended offer! Very fast setup and VPS itself seems nice and quick!

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • cezcez Member

Abdullah said: Can you PM me what location you are after? I'll see if it is possible to do it (till end of today).

I'll shot you a PM too. Hopefully something can be sorted :)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Broke down and ordered the 1.5TB storage plan in Los Angeles, sales ticket #781068 opened a minute or so ago. Thanks!!!! I resisted the $15/y 1GB KVM because the 5gb of nvme ssd was too constraining... would rather have 512mb of ram and 10gb of ssd. It's still an attractive offer but in any case I have too many small KVM's now.

Added: Storage server delivered, that was quick! It came setup with CentOS so I have to figure out how to install Debian, but in any case I'm impressed with the speedy ticket response. Thanks Abdullah!

Added: Reinstalled Debian 9 but the /etc/apt/sources.list file seemed to have come from a 9.0 cd-rom or some such, so lots of apt-get installs wouldn't work. I replaced the sources.list with one from another vps and that fixed it. No big deal but you might want to adjust the template in case the next person doesn't know how to fix it.

• user123user123 Member
    edited January 2018

@willie said:
    Broke down and ordered the 1.5TB storage plan in Los Angeles

Congratulations! I resisted buying a second one, but I'm stilll not sure how I feel about that :p.

• XeiXei Member

@Abdullah said:

@Xei said:
    Thanks for extending the offer. I remember now, the location I wanted wasn't in the offer. My memory sucks. :P

Can you PM me what location you are after? I'll see if it is possible to do it (till end of today).

Was working pmd yesterday evening. Timezones suck. :"P thanks for the chance though :-)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Mine is working nicely. A test I like to do is "du -a /usr | wc" to count # of files in the /usr tree, around 40k files in a fairly stock debian 9. This test takes 10+ seconds on a cold HDD system because it has to seek around a lot reading those directories. Then if you run it again it's almost instant because the directories are now cached in ram. Finally, wait overnight and try again. I just did that and it's still almost instant, a sign that ram is not being oversold on this box. Thumbs up :).

Disk space allocated is 1500 GiB, pretty good. 1.5TiB would be a tiny bit higher, but 1.5e12 bytes would be significantly lower. Storage plan specs are typically slightly ambiguous because of decimal TB vs TiB and 1500GiB is mostly in the customer's favor. For storage plan obsessives, this is $3.41/TiB/month, about as good as I've seen for KVM storage other than the ZX fiasco. Not needing multi-year purchase is also a win.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • @user123 said:
    Congratulations! I resisted buying a second one, but I'm stilll not sure how I feel about that :p.

I kind of regret that I didn't. Having 3GB would have been nice, but didn't want to take the risk without knowing what the service was like first (after the ZXHost fiasco).

Pretty happy thus far.

• darkdark Member

this host sucks, never buy anything from them.