Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Service Provider... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Service Provider...

2»

Comments

• @Pats said:
    ahh.. M why are u replying to this crazy thing... this guy bumped his own thread today where last reply was on Sept 17

He bumps every thread

• @Maounique said:
    Brazil seems to take a stand against censorship and surveillance, it may appeal to many people.

Brazil takes a stand against surveillance of its politicians and corporations.

In Google's latest transparency report Brazil was ranked #1 in the world for most censorship requests sent to Google to have content removed. Brazil sent more than twice as many content removal requests as the US, ranked #2, sent.

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/04/29/brazil-government-leader-in-online-censorship-requests-says-google-transparency-report

If you're a writer and want to remain anonymous Brazil isn't a good choice because the Brazilian constitution prohibits the anonymity of journalists.

The latest ranking by Reporters without borders ranked Brazil as one of the 5 deadliest countries for journalists last year.

http://en.rsf.org/report-brazil,169.html

TL;DR: if you're worried about censorship there's this tiny island in the North Atlantic called Iceland... :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2013

The 12 steps to starting a successful Internet Communications Business in the "Low End" market place:

1. Write a business plan (one that if you needed would qualify you for a loan from the bank.)

2. Have money saved up for at least the first 6 months of services you intend to offer, preferably for up to a year.

3. Make sure your services are sustainable; create a pricing sheet that allows you to make a profit and don't bend to the ways of LEB/LET as a new company and expect to make gobs of money.

4. Realize that most of the providers who operate in the "low end" have a very slim profit margin so if you intend this to be a full time job, understand you will not make a lot of money without offering other products which fall outside of the LEB/LET criteria.

5. Do not let LEB/LET be your only market place or dictate your business model; you should already have this set out from your business plan in #1. Everything for nothing is not a profitable business practice. Realize a lot of hosts here that have the "Unbelievable deals" do so because they are already able to sustain this business with their existing products and offer their "low end" services at a loss or as a loss-leader for their more expensive services.

6. Do not offer services in Colocrossing or any other data center already over run with "Low End" hosts; This includes but is not limited to: WSI, Quadranet, PhoenixNap, DataShack, OVH, Colo@, Incero, Avante, Dacentec, EGI, Coresite, Fiberhub, Redstation/IOMART, etc.

7. Plan to offer ipv6 from the start; Do not be like Colocrossing and "plan" to offer it "eventually" as ipv4 is running out and is expensive. Ipv6 is the next step for this industry.

8. Purchase all your own hardware, do not rent your hardware from the data center.

9. Purchase your own routers, network equipment and ip addresses; setup your own AS with your own ips assigned from ARIN, APNIC, RIPE, AFRINIC, etc.

10. Register your business with-in your country and provide your business credentials on your website including your business id, VAT #, Tax ID number, Phone number and address.

11. Do not use WHOIS privacy on any of your domains and display the correct information for your business in #10 on your domains.

12. Do not start threads on LET asking what things you should offer, if you don't know this already and have it written into your business plan from #1, you're already in trouble.

• @TheLinuxBug said:

Good list!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

No, no, no, no and no! You start small, you grow big!

Noone should purchase network equipment, AS, own IPs, even maybe own servers from the start. That's like at least $10K initial investment and at least $1K monthly expenses from the start when you have no customers. It's wrong!

edited October 2013

@serverian said:
    Noone should purchase network equipment, AS, own IPs, even maybe own servers from the start. That's like at least $10K initial investment and at least $1K monthly expenses from the start when you have no customers. It's wrong!

The point is you should not start out in the "Low End" and you should invest and grow you company the right way. Owning your hardware and equipment is part of this. Until you actually own your equipment you are pretty much just a reseller for the DC you choose. If you intend to offer "Low End" products you should already have profitable and sustained business elsewhere in different "realistically priced" markets, which would allow you to take the losses or deal with the extremely thin margins proposed by this site.

Someone going into this business should have that $10K+ already in their bank if they intend to be able to start up and sustain them selves for any realistic period of time.

Do not get me wrong, it isn't impossible to do it the way you are saying, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

Edit: Plus if you invest in these types of things you would be less likely to decide a month from now you have "more important things" and bail on your customers because you will actually be invested in your product. If you want to be taken seriously, having your own equipment is a good start.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Cheers!

If you have some other business that does well, then sure. But this is your first time going into hosting market, then investing that kind of money for a market that pays you peanuts and asks for everything in return, you shouldn't be investing that much money in it.

• who is this guy actually?

edited October 2013

@serverian said:
    If you have some other business that does well, then sure. But this is your first time going into hosting market, then investing that kind of money for a market that pays you peanuts and asks for everything in return, you shouldn't be investing that much money in it.

You shouldn't be in this market unless you have that "some other business". This is part of my point. If you want to be successful, use a wider scope going in and don't limit your self to the "low end" market which as you stated "pays you in peanuts". You should go in treating it as a REAL business and have the funds up front to invest to build your own infrastructure to be able to offer products in many markets, not just this one.

Edited:

@serverian there will always be people who can pull it off in the way you are stating. This is not a comment on how you have run things or how you started or what you have done, and yes, there are other ways to do it.

However, if you are serious about hosting, the internet communications business and making money, it really should be treated as a real business and setup as such. Sure, it is possible to rent a dedicated server and ips and offer an openvz server with support and make "peanuts" a month off the server. If you want to make real money and actually be profitable though, investing and building up your business the 'right' way is your best bet. The people who are most profitable here are the ones who started out in regular hosting/dedicated server/colocation and already had infrastructure in place already before they started in this industry. This industry as I said for them is a loss leader or a very thin margin offering and doesn't effect their companies bottom line at the end of the month.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug maybe you should add something like:

13.Don't start advertisement campaign untill everything is ready. Cover all the bases. First impression is important. Do things right from beginning.

Competiton is merciless. Market is merciless. Without doing things right you may need to waste whole year to fix impression of first public appearance.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • I take a dedicated server for $7 any day :P

• @ravenchad said:
    who is this guy actually?

He's agentmishra, plz pm him for more info

• @texteditor said:

How do you know that it's a he?

• @texteditor said:

Daebak! really?, hahaha "PM me" @serverian, Now i know.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@Pats said:
    ahh.. M why are u replying to this crazy thing... this guy bumped his own thread today where last reply was on Sept 17

hope you have seen the recent threads getting disappear at LET

any ways, i would take that.

@ravenchad said:
    Daebak! really?, hahaha "PM me" @serverian, Now i know.

whats wrong in this?

can a provider not negotiate or deal with another provider!!!

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Cheers!

thanks

@Spirit said:
    TheLinuxBug maybe you should add something like:

13.Don't start advertisement campaign untill everything is ready. Cover all the bases. First impression is important. Do things right from beginning.

Competiton is merciless. Market is merciless. Without doing things right you may need to waste whole year to fix impression of first public appearance.

thanks

@serverian said:

sure thanks

@ravenchad said:

Do i need to put in an ID here...

• Bhai ye log mazaak udathe hain Jo naya aatha hain LET pe.

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@thehray said:
    Bhai ye log mazaak udathe hain Jo naya aatha hain LET pe.

Pata hai yaar, phar dalunga inke.

mera business to chal nikla hai

khair, aap batao, pm karo, wahan baat karte hain.

• Stick with english, please.

@Spirit said:
    Stick with english, please.

just posted this

"i know people are making fun of me, my business is rocking, how are you, lets talk over PM since we both speak same language..."

• @ravenchad said:

everyone is clueless, including him... but beware.. he's copyright holder of "PM me" :P

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

There is a thanks button if you don't notice @agentmishra

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • he's copyright holder of "PM me"

That's impressive but not quite as impressive as the WHT member who owns the copyright to "have you checked the offers section?" . That guy makes a 6-figure income on the royalties.

• @DomainBop said:
    That's impressive but not quite as impressive as the WHT member who owns the copyright to "have you checked the offers section?" . That guy makes a 6-figure income on the royalties.

To be fair, they get sooooo many whitenoise "can anyone tell me where to get a dedicated server" posts outside of the obvious advertising sections