Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managed Support, any recommendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managed Support, any recommendations?

Hi,

I work with an organization that is currently looking to get a dedicated server and I'm helping them with this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a managed support provider?

I don't to become their 24/7 sysadmin, but they will need one and figure it'd be good to investigate costs/availability, etc.

thanks!

John

Comments

• What is the budget for this project, there is a wide variety of support available. Typically our support offerings are well outside of the LET market ($99-149/month). However, we provide 24/7 support and < 10 minute response times, most of your cheaper offerings are going to be offshore (if you are US centric) in (India / Vietnam?) with slower response times and turnaround.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

LiquidWeb has some of the finest support I've ever dealt with. We got a dedi from a deal in one of their WHT threads a while back. If I recall it was 2x Xeon quad, 8gb ram, 2x 500gb drives, 10TB @100mbit, fully managed with cpanel, $120/m.

• @RyanD $99-149 is pretty high--
    The kind of support I predict will be needed is:
    1- monitoring of server. If it goes down for some reason, notify end user and get working on it asap
    2- security updates, etc.. proactive security
    3- backups

That's pretty much it. Whether we get a dedi or VPS, cpanel would be great so less work for you guys. In the past, I've used managed host providers and it was nice to setup a ticket - hey, email is down, fix it. Or, why is site slow, etc.

It'll only be hosting 6+ sites running wordpress and nothing crazy in terms of hits, etc..

Realistically, it could be put on a shared host (they're with Dreamhost right now) but I want to get them off to their own VPS or dedi, since they are quite unhappy with that experience.

What is your company?

@jarland I will look at that, thanks!! :D

• I highly recommend LiquidWeb/StormOnDemand or WiredTree. Good luck.

• @Johhhn if you are looking for managed VPS, more targeted at 'business' and not LEB I would say our e-commerce hosting at www.ewdhosting.com would be ideal as it includes multiple daily r1soft backups, low tenancy, guaranteed resources, great support.

• Thanks @RyanD, I will add that to the 'list' that I've given them.

Do you guys offer support on ticket by ticket basis? I think that may also be adequate for our purposes (and keep overall cost lower)

• @Johhhn no, we only offer items as listed on the site and only 'premium' offerings, like i said, not really the stuff typically thrown around here on LET... on the flip side, people typically aren't expecting management around here either

• @ryanD sure thing, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.. I've seen other managed services out there on ticket type basis, know of any that's legit?

• Someone should start managed support on LET?

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I highly recommend Steven from Rack911. I've never worked with a more talented system administrator.