Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi network speed difference between datacenters ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi network speed difference between datacenters ?

wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
edited December 2017 in General

Hi,

I was lucky to get a Kimsufi 4-C from last flash sale. I got a i5-2400 in RBX-4.
I also have a Kimsufi 3-B from a previous sale: this is a I5-760 in RBX-1.

I noticed my new server has consistently much slower network speeds than my other server.

Does anyone have a possible explanation or have the same experience ?

Thanks !

Speeds from RBX-4:

Location Provider Speed

CDN Cachefly 10.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 468KB/s

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 2.05MB/s

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 1.73MB/s

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 1.47MB/s

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 2.51MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 1.27MB/s

Singapore Softlayer 1.35MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 3.03MB/s

Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 5.80MB/s

Speeds from RBX-1:

Location Provider Speed

CDN Cachefly 11.2MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 998KB/s

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 7.58MB/s

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 5.40MB/s

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 5.08MB/s

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 7.53MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 3.89MB/s

Singapore Softlayer 3.65MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 11.2MB/s

Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 11.2MB/s

Thanked by 1nunuigti

Comments

• They even are diffrent between racks in the same DC, unless you get some huge package loss, this seems fine.

• Welcome to the neighbourhood I guess

• @VirtualByte said:
    They even are diffrent between racks in the same DC, unless you get some huge package loss, this seems fine.

Agreed, these speeds are not alarming, but still around 30% of the speeds on my 3-B server ?

Thanked by 1masdani
  • @pike said:
    Welcome to the neighbourhood I guess

This what I though initially as well, but then the CDN Cachefly would suffer as well, no ? And it seems CDN Cachefly has around 100Mbps connectivity ...

Tx

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2017

@wlambrechts said:

@pike said:
    Welcome to the neighbourhood I guess

This what I though initially as well, but then the CDN Cachefly would suffer as well, no ? And it seems CDN Cachefly has around 100Mbps connectivity ...

Tx

Yes 100Mb/s, not 100MB/s

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2017

You just got one of their "bad network" servers. There's no correlation to what causes the problem, some report being in the neighbor racks or same rack with the speed difference like your two. See this for example: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2110362/#Comment_2110362

You can try filing a ticket, after tons of back and forth, with them asking you to retest again and again, asking root password from your server, then telling you "everything is fine", if you're extremely lucky, they will do "something" (my guess is, fix a configuration error on a switch), and it gets instantly fixed. This has been the experience of people with the same problem, unfortunately it's scattered across the "sales" threads, such as this one: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/106785/kimsufi-ks-3c-is-in-stock-again/p1 RBX4 is mentioned multiple times there as well.

• They have been throttling mine dedicated lines for years. 100mbps my ass, it never exceeds like 8mbps.