Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my residential VPN a scam?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

xxlxxxlx Member

So one day I was looking around in the chrome extension store for a vpn, and I saw Tuxler - Unlimited Residential Vpn.

I decided to try it and bought a premium account which costs $8 a month.

When you use tuxler, the client shows a wide variety of countries that are always changing. A connection might last 1-2 minutes or 1-2 hours, before you are reloaded to a new location.

So, the vpn is nice, but it has issues. Sometimes my whole browser just crashes and Im forced to restart it, this only happens when Im running Tuxler.

My main issue with tuxler, is that they claim to have ip's from many suspicious places including:
Iraq
Saudi arabia
Kuwait

When you connect to these places, websites will show in the local language. If you try to access something that is not allowed you will be redirected to a government page saying you have been blocked.

So Im not sure what type of tests I could do to see if these are truly residential ip's as Tuxler says. Also, not sure why it crashes my browser if anyone has an Idea let me know.

Comments

• @quick #dicks

• Our server network is community-powered

HOLA 2.0

MALWARE

Thanked by 2doghouch Aidan
  • @hzr said:

Our server network is community-powered

HOLA 2.0

MALWARE

Guessed something like this just from the description. So it's not suprising the exotic locations are actually the real thing. It's just that the owners don't really know about being part of shuch a service and might even get into trouble for people running these sorts of tests trying to access all kinds of blocked stuff.

@xxlx drop it like it's hot.

• xxlx said: So Im not sure what type of tests I could do to see if these are truly residential ip's as Tuxler says.

You should get short pings to local servers. Compare same server pings from closer to home.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@xxlx Chances are high that when you're using the plugin your browser is also being used as a proxy for others.

Thanked by 2Falzo ehab
  • @hzr said:

Our server network is community-powered

HOLA 2.0

MALWARE

I tried to play with it to intercept Hola’s traffic to show a “Uninstall Hola” message.

Unfortunately, the traffic, is, err, encrypted and I can’t seem to hijack the DNS. Bastards.

• quickquick Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:
    @quick #dicks

#turkishdicks

Thanked by 1WSS
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2017

70k fresh IP's per month, wow.

I wonder if it can send emails.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wait, you're paying to let people use your internet? You do know that you can run a TOR exit node for free right?

Thanked by 2AuroraZ WSS
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

The thing is, you pay the fuckers and they use you as a proxy exit through their malware browser plugin or whatever it is, the same way they are using other people.

Just use Tor for fuck sake. Or set up your own VPN.

Ah, yeah you'll have to reformat your computer, up until now you are most likely infected with space aids and relaying data for random malevolent strangers. If somehow their plugin is allowed in play store, you'll have to find a way to disconnect it from your google account for chrome or you'll get it again.

And change your accounts passwords too, you don't know who is sniffing on the other side.

• @Janevski said:
    The thing is, you pay the fuckers and they use you as a proxy exit through their malware browser plugin or whatever it is, the same way they are using other people.

If that is the case it would be quite a scandal.

Ah, yeah you'll have to reformat your computer, up until now you are most likely infected with space aids and relaying data for random malevolent strangers. If somehow their plugin is allowed in play store, you'll have to find a way to disconnect it from your google account for chrome or you'll get it again.

Well, unless there is an issue with Chrome's sandbox and the extension manages to break out, uninstalling it should be just fine.

"Strangely" enough they seem to run two "identical" extensions with the IDs jpgljfpmoofbmlieejglhonfofmahini and ojagfgibjiofppmilfbgmipfelkhcccn.

And change your accounts passwords too, you don't know who is sniffing on the other side.

That might be a good idea, particularly because the extension offered on their site (jpgljfpmoofbmlieejglhonfofmahini) does demand access to the entire browsing data.

• @quick said:

@WSS said:
    @quick #dicks

#turkishdicks

Somebody called?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • The original question

Apart from the crashing it sounds like you got what you paid for, so no. The residential IP 'users' would have agreed to some ToS most likely, allowing for their connection to be shared. Maybe, maybe not.

That said, perhaps they have other motives other than cash money for providing a service. Having residential IPs would be ideal for click fraud, for example. Maybe they knowingly have customers who do. Who's to tell.