Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want: (bare) Dual Xeon E5-2670, 2660, 2650, 2640's, etc. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want: (bare) Dual Xeon E5-2670, 2660, 2650, 2640's, etc.

2»

Comments

• Why not generate your own solar power and buy the boxes/equipment from ebay/amazon and run them 24/7 from your basement? I think $50k would be enough to launch the operation and make some scamcoins within a few month?

• @JustJon said:
    Lets just stick with AWS for a moment, if this was in any way feasable then surely Amazon would be using a good portion of their unallocated servers for this, as would any host. I just think the quicker this whole bubble bursts the better.

Talk about CPU and GPU apocalypse when this happens. XD

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

@zevus what would be your payment method you use for paying such servers?

I might have a couple e5-2650 since we've bought a full rack of barebones recently.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited December 2017

@ChristianDSH said:

I might have a couple e5-2650 since we've bought a full rack of barebones recently.

I could pay with bitcoins (or paypal).

Lets just stick with AWS for a moment, if this was in any way feasable then surely Amazon would be using a good portion of their unallocated servers for this, as would any host. I just think the quicker this whole bubble bursts the better.

doubtful. why would amazon do this? some smaller market cap host (ed: or, rather, a private company -- would be hard to imagine any public company doing something like this, maybe if the CEO wanted to be sacked if something went wrong). there are broader implications at work here for amazon

Of course it was profitable on AWS if your using coupons as even if you make $1 thats cost you nothing but your time. I just have to ask why if it was such an amazing deal you would want to post your plans on a public forum?

I used up my coupons a while back, now I'm not mining on coupons anymore.

I did find that the 2 or 4 core servers are much more profitable, though. You do have to micromanage them a bit to get on a server where the cores aren't being hammered by other miners

re: post plans on a public forum.

answer: because my primary source of income isn't mining shitcoins. it's just a hobby that's generating me extra income right now. not a huge deal to me if it continues or not. perhaps i should have made a youtube video with this info, monetized, and posted some affiliate links tho? it's a good point. I have credits on Vultr, Digital Ocean, Linode, etc., but haven't tried mining on there yet. Do they even let you do this on VPS? I figured not. I suppose I could lie to people and say it's OK and give affiliate links and get a decent amt of referrals?

Sadly my Warhammer Online videos don't bring many views, anymore. Gone from some 20K to 22 or 23K in the last few years. =/

re: AWS pricing;

• zevuszevus Member
    edited December 2017

comment on this specifically;

I'd probably want one initially so I can test to see what hash rate I can get with it.

The benchmarks I see aren't very helpful since in a lot of cases people don't have optimum conf, older benchmarks, etc.

(like the e5-2670 v2, on http://monerobenchmarks.info/searchCPU.php it shows 1043 max, but I can get 1145)

• zevuszevus Member
    edited December 2017

I'm set now, don't need any more servers.

This electroneum nonsense actually has gone up some 20% also (or more, since this is vs BTC), for anyone interested in shitcoin mining (and mining difficulty is down).

https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=ETN_BTC

• I see Hetzner auction servers have been creeping up in price in the past few days, reversing a slow downward trend. Don't know if this is a normal fluctuation or if it's mining. Also I have to think the big dedi hosts are overselling electricity on the idea that most dedi cpus don't actually run anywhere near 100% 24/7. So the costs of running dedi farms may also be heading upward. It's surprising that cpu mining is still practical for any of these coins.

• Their investors (!) are getting their coins now so 'the dumpening' is happening.

XMR is up to $280 now, though ....