Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of SSD deals is disturbing. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lack of SSD deals is disturbing.

2»

Comments

• @sman said:
    On OpenVZ you can adjust I/O priority per container. On KVM you cannot.

I'm pretty sure you can use cgroups w/KVM, same as OpenVZ.

• Don't SSD have a higher failure rate that a normal HDD? Especially with RAID?

• @ATHK said:
    Don't SSD have a higher failure rate that a normal HDD? Especially with RAID?

Good SSDs are far, far more reliable than mechanical drives.

• Intels has remarkably good durability at a compromise of speed... But they are solid

• Sorry DO fanboys but DO is not "low end"

http://pandodaily.com/2013/08/07/digital-ocean-raises-3-2m-stakes-its-claim-on-developer-friendly-cloud-hosting/

"Low End" hosts don't get 3.2mil investment stakes so feel free to compare digital excrement to everything else

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2013

@Microlinux said:

Ahh ok I was under the impression they failed more often that mechanical, I was told this a year or so ago so I guess that's changed. Thanks!

• @serverian said:
    Do some math

I did!

SSD size = too small and price too big so I want more SSD size with less price! Low end math at it's finest

• there is lots of deals just look!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Only certain Intels compromise on speed still.

Also, this thread lol

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

I want the best hardware, the best data center, the best speed, the best support and the cheapest price anywhere. It is so disturbing that I cannot find this. Why can't I find this?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Sorry DO fanboys but DO is not "low end"

As long as DO offers the $5 plan, and as long as 5<7, DO is very much a competitor in the LEB market.

• @Microlinux said:
    I'm pretty sure you can use cgroups w/KVM, same as OpenVZ.

Confirming - cgroups works fine with KVM (IBM posted many whitepapers on the subject, with detailed stats/use cases).

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

@rm_ said:
    As long as DO offers the $5 plan, and as long as 5<7, DO is very much a competitor in the LEB market.

Ubiquity has 1GB OnApp SSD VPS for $6 which I think is a pretty good deal too. DO does a couple things I don't like. You can only use the kernels they offer and you cannot alter the grub boot config.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@sman said:

It depends how much space for the price.
    But, yeah, we put up quite a few SSD nodes (E3s with a few exceptions) and they sold pretty quick, however, there is a problem with SSD that if they become close to full (some 70%+) the performance starts degrading rapidly. Since capacity is not great anyway even so, losing 30% does hurt.
    We also had one failure even with raid that we had to reverse from backup, that never happened with mechanical drives but could have been just bad luck due to a problem with the motherboard. Since then SAN setups, even if a bit slower, became much more appealing.
    Anyway, There are quite a few SSD deals, but may not be liked by the OP due to low storage. We have no issues with RAM, even at increased prices, the storage is our price issue and while our SAS drives of 600 GB are about at the same price as Samsung SSDs 512 full version, that wont be much of a problem, but the 30% space issue is.
    There is a reason why SSDs are not going down in price and this is the same with RAM and all, the era of desktops and even laptops is slowly ending and no producer makes plans too far into the future. We must brace ourselves for stagnant prices, even if the quality will remain the same or there will be technological improvements.