Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the cheapest OnApp VPS price on LEB / LET ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the cheapest OnApp VPS price on LEB / LET ?

letfflletffl Member
edited September 2013 in General

I have been looking into investing in OnApp Cloud but I am wondering if the price being offered makes sense.

Thanks

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As someone who did extensive research into this, the answer is clear: No it doesnt.
    There were legacy OnApp people doing offers, such as @jhadley:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10224/uk-onapp-kvm-ssd-vps-in-kent-768mb-5gb#latest
    There are, however, quite a few OS clouds out there, full featured.

Thanked by 1letffl
  • @NetCloud has $5

Thanked by 1letffl
  • @Maounique, If you dont mind sharing the price that it would make sense. Were you able to figure out at approximate price point where it would make sense ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@mehumike said:
    Maounique, If you dont mind sharing the price that it would make sense. Were you able to figure out at approximate price point where it would make sense ?

I am not sure I understand your question, but, from my calculations, OnApp overhead, even if heavily optimized might be up to 30% of a leb offering.
    Using an OS cloud will help you save on costs and make lower priced offers as well as getting more profit while having more control.

• OnApp requires min 500/mo commit.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2013

OnApp used to want all the business they could get, now they're just after the big bucks. It's part of a relatively new policy that they are enforcing hard. I've tried to negotiate lower rates for some of my clients who have wanted to use it and it hasn't worked.

Part of this has to do with the cost of supporting OnApp - it seems to have occasional quirks that are beyond the scope of the user, and they also changed the way a lot of things work in v3 without me realising.

SolusVM appears to be improving constantly, but my advice to anyone wanting to sell LEBs seriously is to write their own. Writing your own quality software can give you a real edge in the market, as I know some of the hosts I've worked with have come to realise.

Also the title of this thread is kind of stupid - OnApp isn't about being the cheapest. If you want to be part of the race to the bottom, get some cheap hardware on eBay, find colo that doesn't care about power usage and old equipment, install SolusVM+WHMCS, and oversell until your heart's content.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I remember I contacted them two years ago more or less and the price was reasonable, at the time however I didn't go ahead. Some time later I rechecked and the pricing model was very different so I abandoned the idea :-)

• ReeceReece Member
    edited September 2013

When Onapp first launched they were offering people the "Get OnApp for free" or whatever it was where providers could deploy xx instances. It changed, i know there pricing has gone up over the years. Not necessarily a bad thing though it's a good product.

It's pricing just isn't suited in the Oversold LEB world.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited September 2013

@jhadley said: If you want to be part of the race to the bottom, get some cheap hardware on eBay, find colo that doesn't care about power usage and old equipment, install SolusVM+WHMCS, and oversell until your heart's content.

It only takes me one second to guess who you are talking about here.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Sorry didnt mean to confuse anyone with the title. My intention was to find out if anyone on LET/LEB was offering OnApp VPS and if so what was the cheapest price have you guys seen. I guess the cheapest currently is $5 but not seeing many OnApp providers on LET/LEB so maybe the cost is too high for providers to offer it here.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2013

@letffl said:
    I guess the cheapest currently is $5 but not seeing many OnApp providers on LET/LEB so maybe the cost is too high for providers to offer it here.

Partly.

But then I doubt someone investing in a proper cloud infrastructure into 5-6 digits want to attract low end clients and make a big loss.

https://www.ubiquityservers.com/cloud is OnApp but I believe it's all integrated to their own panel.